milling thread

I think the niche market in walnut could be figured gun stock blanks .

Fact is I saved a few root cut ash just for the figure that I've yet to cut up .I figured it could make nice inlays for table tops etc. for the furniture maker types .

Figured wood can be a rascal to work with but the end results can be mighty pleasing to the eye .

English Walnut can be quite nice to very beautiful too, but the color is paler.

Steve, I've heard the Claro also referred to as California Black.

When I was trying to purchase Walnut from the growers near Stockton, it was very difficult to initially get in with them. All the big orchards had an arrangement with the gunstock maker, Calico, that they would buy the trees and grind the stumps, and only pay a few pennies a pound for the wood. The growers knew they were getting robbed, but Calico would buy the downed trees every year, all of them, and without that arrangement, the growers would be stuck with dealing with the big nuisance in their orchards. Calico told them that if they learned that any orchards were selling elsewhere, they would no longer do business with them. A number of people told me that they hated Calico, but had no choice, unless I would buy all their downed trees every year :\:

I finally found a place that would sell to me on the quiet. Years ago I made this big table (seating for ten) out of Claro, with the wedge being Black Locust. Great Walnut, and very stable and easy to dry.

Attachments

• corrected9.JPG
    corrected9.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 50
Thanks. Oil finish on there, lots and lots of applications, I like a good shine. I built that when I was still living in N. California, and it went to Arizona. I later heard that it developed a small crack. Not surprised, being so dry there, and the material was only air dried for a few years.
The owner was cool about it.

With a big wide slabbed table top it's nearly impossible not to get splits .

They often remark about vintage pieces of fine furniture that came from Europe and withstood a few hundred years before they split .It was because they had been in homes without central heating systems for years then once in such an atmosphere that lacked of humidity they dried out .It's really a shame .

Some species have less tendency to split, including Walnut. An area that has drastic changes in humidity, depending on the seasons, is hard on wood, and certainly moved to a different location, can take it's toll. I like to think that the level of care, can also be a factor somewhat.

Awesome table, Great thread.

I got to run the loader today in the Log Dump,
Basically fetching logs to be (alaskan) milled.

I took a mess of pictures today, easy day.

Those 8-10' twinkies are for some benches we're making for some campground.
Then I believe another 4" slab will be attached in some way for a back rest.

Some other random pictures of rot, decay, galleries and wood.

Attachments

• P. Milling etc 004.JPG
    P. Milling etc 004.JPG
    459.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P. Milling etc 003.JPG
    P. Milling etc 003.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P. Milling etc 008.JPG
    P. Milling etc 008.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 49
  • P. Milling etc 009.JPG
    P. Milling etc 009.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 51
  • P. Milling etc 014.JPG
    P. Milling etc 014.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 50
  • P. Milling etc 015.JPG
    P. Milling etc 015.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 50
  • P. Milling etc 016.JPG
    P. Milling etc 016.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P. Milling etc 020.JPG
    P. Milling etc 020.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P. Milling etc 025.JPG
    P. Milling etc 025.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool gallery shot!! We used an extension ladder half for the first cut, worked well

Waycool insect gallery Deva. You know you got one rocking job when you're getting paid to do some chainsaw milling on big logs like that.

Milled some cedar today. First ever. Log was split down the middle most of the way, so I finished it with the mill. Got a couple of 4x6 posts, and some 1x lumber. Colorful stuff.

Attachments

• redcedar.jpg
    redcedar.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 161
Milled up some pine this afternoon. Some nice blueing and some borer holes I though looked cool. Got 600 board feet out of the first log, got the second log trimmed down to where we can just cut boards tommorrow

Attachments

• milling 025.jpg
    milling 025.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 43
  • milling 026.jpg
    milling 026.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 45
  • milling 027.jpg
    milling 027.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 44
  • milling 028.jpg
    milling 028.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 43
  • milling 029.jpg
    milling 029.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 44
  • milling 030.jpg
    milling 030.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 44
Heres Saturdays log, some blued and borered boards, and our final pile of lumber before stickering and banding.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fO8P1JnyrsQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fO8P1JnyrsQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NNOq6zHvWI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NNOq6zHvWI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attachments

• milling 031.jpg
    milling 031.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • milling 032.jpg
    milling 032.jpg
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 44
  • milling 033.jpg
    milling 033.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 43
Does the discoloration make it more valuable or less valuable?

Less valuble to the logger as it's a defect but very desirable as interior siding

Depends on who wants it and what they want it for.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAyrJmJPvEE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAyrJmJPvEE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back