milling thread

1.jpg Just picked this up (pun intended). I hope it will be a great help for our post and beam enterprises. 55 HP diesel isuzu motor and can cut an 8x12 can't in one pass

Kinda, I saw it online , Ive been looking for this kind of mill for years and it was a good price I think so I jumped on it. I have access to so many logs it just makes sense.

Question for the veteran mill owners. I have the G776 Alaskan MK3 Granberg mill and bar. How important is the oiler on the helper handle end? With it installed I'm pressed to make a 45" cut, I'd like to go 48". Thoughts?

It it one of those drip type oilers with a tube from a small tank? The size saw is a factor and 48" is a big cut, but generally speaking, I think more oil getting to the chain than less when milling, is a positive thing. My mill doesn't have a supplemental oiler, but I've thought about putting one on to aid the chain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice Paul, I've been looking for a cheap priced unit for years, not in a rush so...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461017689.046861.jpg

A few little red oak logs that came in over the past week or so. The one closest to the truck is 50" in diameter on the small end. Its a 10' log. We dont see many this big anymore !

Denver

Awesome wood! Look to be significant (?) splits in at least 2 of those logs. How does that effect what you try to get out of them?

What will you make from those logs?

Awesome wood! Look to be significant (?) splits in at least 2 of those logs. How does that effect what you try to get out of them?

What will you make from those logs?

Around here when the logs get that big coming in to the mill their defects do as well. There is only 2 or 3 in that pile that are going to have good quality lumber in them. We will just make lumber out of them. May get a railroad tie out of a few as well. We will have to bust them in to 4 pieces to be able to handle them easily in the mill.

Denver

Good info...thank you. Fascinating to me to see raw material like that and have someone (magically!) make something useful out of it.

I have one about that size as well and a 60" mill on the way.

Willie... The Lucas makes up for it in the speed of the thing.
We thought the Woodland Band Mill would be the cheaper to run.. Not really. More work in making the wood straight. Granted, probably cheaper slabbing. The Lucas slabbing attachment is pricey. But we will own that as well someday.
We just get so much in board foot cut with the Lucas... Easy set up... Portable.. Pick up with a lumber rack can move the whole set up.

Yeah, if I was planning to make real money I'd go that route and may someday. For now, I'm playing.

It is cool to offer the Lucas to come to a custy site to help recycle/repurpose the wood. A nice addition to a sale of our services.
We are billing out mill time on top of tree time.

He got a coat of varnish on them today.

Attachments

• tmp_22555-FB_IMG_1469124169203-163887272.jpg
    tmp_22555-FB_IMG_1469124169203-163887272.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 44
  • tmp_22555-FB_IMG_14691241624032036412011.jpg
    tmp_22555-FB_IMG_14691241624032036412011.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 43
Back