milling thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K2wLdhZjKBM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool beans ! That’s a nice set-up and probably a fraction of the cost of a commercially built one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-SMuUijWB94" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jerry got paid by the hour to limb trees on all sides, but by the looks of it, they could have paid him to mill them right where they fell!

How does that exhaust smoke smell?

Duno....I wear a respirator. My saw don't smoke either. Tuned correctly for my work every time. None of my saw smoke but the big bow when you nail it :-)

How does your exhaust smoke smell? Do you enjoy it?

Adding a 2ft pipe and a baffle when the rain stops or tomorrow.
Been testing chains and grinds on one of my mills.

Need to set up another winch on the medium mill a bit smaller.

I'm surprised 32:1 isn't smoky.

I try to work with my back to the wind for saw dust and unavoidable exhaust, or set up a blower, if needed for stump cuts and milling. I also wear a respirator milling. It would be cool if they made an intake hose that could be away from the work area.

20191108_103605.jpg

Past week was busy with milling. Burlington, Boston and Teeterville.

I'm using regular chain instead of milling chain. It's a fair bit faster, I don't see noticeable difference in finish, and bonus my filter is cleaner. Milling chain made a lot of dust.

Are you changing the cutter angle, or just running crosscut chain? I've been using RM2, and started with the factory angle, but brought it down to 10° as I sharpened it over a few times. I don't have enough experience to quantify the difference in angle, but the standard 35° seemed to work ok.

For me, the more acute angle, the more each cutter is pushed sideway by the wood being cut. The move is limited by the cutter's side but the trend is there. A 10° doesn't push as much, so you should got a thinner kerf (but takes more force to be pulled through).
I tried that on the ms 150 to use a little more the tinny cutters at the end. But that doesn't work so well because the chain tends to jam in the cut. I think that's why.

Back