milling thread

I got this tree hauled in two, full trailer loads. This is two 13' logs. Had to mill them down to be movable. The last one I removed the grapple to be able to lift the butt end and rotate the log onto the trailer, then was able to lift the smaller end with the grapple, and push onto the trailer.

I want/ need a bigger saw and mill to cut these things down into bandsaw mill sizes.

31" Max cut on the mill
IMG_20190808_112648985.jpg

Too heavy for me, but #OgreDon'tCare
IMG_20190808_121011668.jpg

IMG_20190808_121218640.jpg

IMG_20190808_181058998.jpg

don't know.

The other one is down to the spar, and hauled.

Going to grab my loader from the jobsite, and bring it home tonight. Having too many logs in the same drop spot is a hassle.

I'll try to time the passes. Have to break down the big butt log on #2 just to move, and further CSM or bandsaw mill.

Have some mis-tint paint for end-painting.

Nope. Only 404 and 3/8 ripping.

I wonder how it works.

Small milling job today for me. Clearing some black walnut I dropped a couple weeks ago.

20190813_111723.jpg

If it was me, given some of y'all are all about the potential to not waste the wood that comes your way, optimize a saleable product, maybe make beautiful planks, I'd seriously think about this mill.

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Po...MIm_r7hYaO5AIViMpkCh1hcQOzEAQYAyABEgKcJ_D_BwE

My cousin-in-law has one...and oh goodness, he has cut some magnificent boards with it. I have a couple of times helped him with cutting, bucking, rigging, and man-handling logs onto the mill bed, some pretty nice sized ponderosa pine. The results have been awfully fine.

I know...the up front cost is steep, and it doesn't move about easily. But it is a mighty fine mill.

I've been eye-ing the WMLT15wide that Dave suggested, if this 42" cut-homemade bandsaw on a trailer, doesn't turn out. I'm willing to finance something better than what I could pay now/ pay-off sooner.

I'm refinancing my mortgage at the moment, so the mill purchase will be at least after that.

Finding the time to do it all is difficult.

I've been trying to find time to chainsaw mill huge pieces for a long time, that are sitting out in the weather, not end-sealed.

Tree work pays predictably the end of the project.

Might be sending D to public school this year, instead, freeing up a good number of dollars.

Portability versus capacity, one facet.

Hello saw millers. I have a few chainsaw mills. Any large favorite regularly used power heads out there besides the usual 088 or 3120 saws for a large single saw setup with fifty or longer bars?

Any more bandsaw information farther back in this thread?

Lots of info in this thread. Sorry the recent ones are of my chainsaw mill.

Today's silver maple. 3Ft wide by 8ft long, in Brantford.

20190819_130259.jpg

For really big wood you might want a ported big bore 395, or a ported 90cc with a modified oiler and/or external bar tip oiler, possibly with some sort of hyperskip chain too, but I wouldn't know, I haven't tried milling anything very big.

Back