milling thread

Looks like a free-hand cut on the end to give a reasonably flat surface as a starting point, adjusting the rails on the rest. Is that so?

Currently needing longer rails on my Alaskan, as they are my limiting factor... Trying to decide on a size. Double-ended bars need spur drives, plus another expensive couple of chains, on top of an expensive bar, with eBay having GB, with expensive shipping.

Also, interested in buying a bandsaw mill.

Not being independently wealthy, I'm trying to get by with what I have spent so far.
I'm wondering about the limitations of the Granberg mini-mill/ edger. IF used vertically, I wonder how accurate it is. I have one, never used it. I don't have the the guide rail. Thinking a piece of harder wood cut to size would suffice. Seems like its about 1/2x 1/2" angle-aluminum with holes drilled in it...potentially available locally as raw 'angle'.

I've rolled my big cedar log 90*, so the flat is vertical. Probably a lot to ask with a 32" or 36".

I've been trying to figure out a way to "hang" my alaskan mill on rails, basically ladder on saw-horses, allowing my clean/ level entry and exit from short, irregular pieces. I've figured that I'd probably just make rectangular spacers out of plywood for small pieces, and boost the log up, cut after cut, rather than changing the mill 1 or 2 inches at a time. Faster, and keeps the depth of cut on the mill shorter, which I'm guessing is slightly smoother. I'm guessing I'll have to screw the small pieces of log to a bottom sheet of plywood.
I hope to play with this today.

I was looking around and saw this...
http://www.logosol.us/images/product-images/f2-farmers/large/logosol_f2-farmers_2701.jpg

It would work in fine with the hanging-from-a-rail idea, I think. Slope-cut slabs can make some cool things. I'm thinking of a beer sampler 'flight'-tray, at the moment, for a bar. Narrow and long, if the small logs won't warp too much.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/613179...By4hRgbSXBkompCfAMUo7V8D5YcSk_4IaAnz4EALw_wcB

I am thinking of something like that mill. I've been getting a few jobs to mill cookies. I'll probably make something that goes on my future bandsaw mill bed.

What would you guys charge for quarter sawing 3 8ft oak logs about 36-24" in diameter with a chainsaw mill? How about just slabbing it? Also consider in your evaluation what you think a beginner would get paid to do it. That will help me get an idea of what I should charge, and if I feel like asking more or less depending on how I feel about your number. Just trying to get a rough idea.

DSC00009 (768x1024).jpg

DSC00015 (1024x656).jpg

And here's my idea for how I would quarter saw it. Comments and opinions desired.

Cut in half, then mill some slabs off each half. Then, try to stand them up, and temporarily clamp the halves together, likely even bolt them together at the ends too. Putting the halves together will both help me get the mill squared and level again, and might make it easier to keep the pieces propped up. Red lines show the cuts.

In # 3 I should probably get the triangles cut off square before joining the halves so they stand up better and is easier to get the next cut level.

Quarter saw with chainsaw.jpg

That's what I was thinking, but we're having a hard time finding one available. Unless you mean to resaw the boards in a wood shop, then that's the plan.

088 was giving me some grief, so I brought the 066 as well, and it gave me grief. Between the 2 I managed to get this job done before the heavy rain

066 was running lean, hi idle. 088 wouldn't start every once in a while. :(

20190416_102159.jpg

20190416_131413.jpg

Milled some 40" silver maple cookies in London. Turns out it was another tree guy. I apologized for bringing saws onto another tree guys property.

20190504_111424.jpg

The one has the pith pretty much contained in the slab. Pith can be cut out to bookmatch or epoxied whole, to my way of thinking. 5/4, 42 board-feet.

The other is without pith, solid, 7/4, 59 board feet.

13' irregular at the two ends a bit. Had to shave the live edge at the one end down a little, for the last foot, about an inch missing of live-edge.
2' 8" max width.

I can bookmatch a piece to the 7/4, as well.

I can bookmatch the rest of the boards to each other.
How much should I ask?

Back