milling thread

They are pretty slab cuts, to be sure. Worth a lot...to the right customer.

From here, seeing the market around me...it's all about who wants it. Like many of the stuff I have put up for sale, I KNOW it's worth bla, bla, bla, or more! But the buyer end of the equation frequently seems to be looking at it through a different lens.

Best of luck, Sean. They are very nice millings.

That's what I say about my area. It has value but people won't pay.

Now if I cooked meth... Well, that would sell no problem.....

Thanks all. The house sure makes one want to keep up with the crowd.

I've been dealing with the walnut custy for over a month. He didn't like my price. He said once I get there we will work out a deal so I get boards and he gets a lower price. Ha! Once he and his wife saw the cuts he paid, even paid for more milling and gave me a $50 tip. :)
Winch pic for Sean.

Some crappy catalpa that made nice boards in Port Dover. Gang milling.

20190531_094054.jpg

20190531_100447.jpg

20190531_103533.jpg

I LIKE how you did that with several odd shaped, small logs.

Is your winch fairleading through one spot? Does it lift the back end of the mill if you are wound vertically-up on the spool? Is the angle change any effect?

It was nice milling downhill on a good angle. Less work.

I'll see how to add the winch to the aluminum Granberg alaskan mill. Might just mount it to a board mounted on top of the mill, somehow on the extruded railes, 90 degrees from what you're doing, if that works out.

There is no-anti-vibe on the pushing handle. Would be nice to isolate the vibes moreso, but better cranking than pushing, I'd guess.

I was thinking of using a raised log as a weight to pull the mill, fairleaded, appropriately, if milling under a tree, in the shade.

I'll get some hulk anti-vibe gloves from Galeton.com.

A respirator is crucial. I'm going to set up a blower to keep exhaust away. That might mean no respirator, as the blower will do multiple jobs, dust from me, dust off the log/ mill, and exhaust away from me, especially if I start to run richer mix-gas or carb-setting.

I just have it off the spool, no fairleads, I keep the anchor lower or inline with the cut. I've had no issue with the backend lifting, I made the mill wider than available mills. A push down on the winch handle helps. I wear antivibe gloves when milling, too much GPMG and M249 when I was young made my hands sensitive.

Maybe I can figure a way to strap a redirect to the end of the log, and add elastic tensioners or a hanging weight to a rope attached to the mill, either way adjustable, and simple.

I'd rather lift a heavy weight once and hold-back against the mill with a bungee to relieve the pulling force when too much, I think. I think it would have me hanging back from the mill, not leaning into it, nearer the exhaust. I can just put a pole in the ground at the end of the log, or use the mini to hold a pole with the tensioning weight.

You'll want a micro-portable gantry crane for it :lol:

Peter, are you using a clutch cover? Jay/ Woodworkingboy made a spacer out of washers or something, then bar nuts. I haven't tried without a cover.

I suspect that a buy could make a plate with some skills could make a plate instead of two stacks of washers. Bolt a real chain catcher, or block of wood around a bolt to the plate, I'd guess.

Hadn't considered it. Pretty low risk, but worth having. The throttle up before entering, and the exit of the cut are the only dangerous spot, I'm thinking. Am I missing something?

I can see that the board coming off, if milling on a downhill could push or pinch the chain, somehow at the exit. When I'm milling on a slope (propped on a big log at 20-30*-ish), for ease from gravity, and more standing, the slab slides down and I have to be sure not to get the mill/ saw squashed.

Some 19" wide by 4ft long black walnut for me. Cut this log a couple days ago, milled it today and brought it home. Should have waited but I stuck a stack in the kiln. Ends were sealed. 2 boards are spoken for. I'm going to have a pile more next week.

20190709_133845.jpg

Back