milling thread

Wow. Cool Stephen.

Here's my second butterfly I've done... I'm pointing to one of my hasty mistakes...

Its Blue Oak... q.douglassii

:)
dd25ee0a60201c32e3a734a8455e8ba7.jpg

Cut fat, sand flush and tight.

I was just fitting it in there without glue to see it's fit...and I couldn't get it back out So, frig it, there it goes...

I broke off the corner before cutting all the way through...and some serious variance in that wide part...in the bed edge...

Nice!

Some 36" wide by 26" long silver maple. HO's wife had been busting his balls because he was never going to get it milled. We showed her!!

4" thick slabs.

20180704_144216.jpg

Butternut is an interesting wood. I sawed a butternut log 8' long that was 36"x56" on one end, and 36" on the small end. Not too many of them around. That one looks to be a big one, as well.

More butternut this morning. I'm a bit impressed witg the 47" Stihl hardnose. Seems to be holding up, no burrs, the rails look great!

20180726_123342.jpg

Figured wood/ burl poachers have been known to pipe their mufflers into a bucket of water.

How would you do this?

I've been wanting to poach...just kidding. Milling at my house, considering a double-ended, large bar and mill, or at least a single. Might not be that practical. With a quick-connect of some sort, it might be easy peasy.

I realized that hard-nosed bars are capable of handling various pitches, same gauge.

Double powerhead would be for two people or with an overhead support.

My Dad is on me to make a double powerhead setup with rails. All the ideas I have would involve aluminum framework. Pricey for me.

For small pieces, I like the idea of the sawhorses holding ladder, and moving small pieces under it. 1" spacer boards would allow different dimensions. Longer pieces would be subject to bowing of the ladder.

Just messing around a little. Hard to get a smooth cut in the maple. Cedar was easy and smooth, mostly.

I was asked for a simple potted plant stand, 6x15x24" tall.
3 sides, freshly squared off, 1 outer, natural gray side.

I'm going to make a planter box out of low value Sequoia slabs, mostly sap wood.

IMG_20180729_190018606.jpg 15329580614431400947211.jpg

Groundie may have food poisoning, so I met with an HOA rep about a bigger project removing dead and dying Doug fir and alder. Lots of logs there.

Messed about with the mill, before doing some solo work across the street. IMG_20180730_111039530_HDR.jpg IMG_20180730_111733389_HDR.jpg

Yes. It was loose, and snugged up.

I was using square ground chisel chain. I can't sharpen square grind, yet. Started sharp. Ended close to sharp.

I have to make a good cradle for short pieces. Wobbly working at times.

That's the same problem here. I'm thinking some sturdy but light aluminum frame. Trying to get back into brazing aluminum again. I bought a small starter pack of rod, no need for flux. $40 for 3 sticks. Then I go looking around my shop and I find 1lb of the same stuff.

The cradle part is the same problem???

I was thinking of some matching V-shaped notches on two logs laid parellel and cut to match one another, some smaller depth, some deeper, in different positions down the base logs.

Back