milling thread

Yup. When doing smaller diameter logs or even larger diameter but shorter logs the 088 weight tips the log, usually the ones that are just heavy enough to be hard to man handled, or at least time comsuming. Wedging with wood laying around, etc works for a bit till you mill through the wedge.

Not a constant problem, but one that does pop up.

Hamilton today. Got a Facebook job milling 30-40" diameter cookies in maple and cherry. Not something I've done, a few issues, biggest problem is winching the log and not enough cutting pressure.

20180830_124535.jpg

Is there an especially good brand of chainsaws mills out there or are they all about the same? I thought they ran around $250-400, but was seeing a lot around $150 no matter the size, and with very similar construction. I guess $150 is very reasonable considering the small amount if materials involved. I just haven't noticed much price difference between quality hence my question.

I looked at available mills and I had personal issues with the setups. the balance, how narrow the guide was, the limited use of the handles, and the lack of cross supports which, IMHO, helps guide the saw straight in at the start of the cut. That and I had no cash, so I welded mine up with scrap steel.

Is there an especially good brand of chainsaws mills out there or are they all about the same? I thought they ran around $250-400, but was seeing a lot around $150 no matter the size, and with very similar construction. I guess $150 is very reasonable considering the small amount if materials involved. I just haven't noticed much price difference between quality hence my question.

Granberg is the gold standard but there is really nothing special or overly complicated about them and one could easily make a CS mill.

Well, I’m not trying to one up ya but I paid exactly $100 for this one and wasn’t even looking for a mill. A guy I know that collects old hit’n mis engines was looking for a big saw for me. Called me one day and said to stop by cause he found one but it needed some work. Walked in his shop and he said “there it is ya want it?” pointing to a 090 with the mill attached. I just laughed at him figuring he was joking. Said he was serious so I asked what he wanted for it. Said give me $100, it was in with a bunch of engines he bought at auction and had no use for it. I asked him if he realized what it was worth and he said it didn’t matter, just another saw to him. I jumped on it. I cleaned out the carb and put a gasket kit in it and dug a half a tank of varnish out of the gas tank, put a hard nose bar on it and bought three skip 404 chains for it. Got $400 total in it. Runs like the beast it is.

I’ll take a picture of it when I get home for ya. Gotta take the boyz to the vet for shots and drop the wife off at the beauty parlor (for an estimate) then I’m done for the day.

Picture of said animal...

D1E30FF2-06C2-4FDC-94CD-3C24143311A2.jpg
1AF44027-FC7D-47BB-9FC2-B366B40DDD82.jpg

Even gots a home made set of left coast dogs and a 1/2” drive sprocket so some day I can pretend to be Billy Badazz. :D

2B255FC2-C978-4C8E-81F1-AC803298B4EC.jpg

Back