milling thread

Yup!

I hope there is nothing else to worry about when a cylinder comes loose, and tighted, all looked ok. I guess bolt checks will be part of maintance and cleanup.

I purchased this sawmill at auction and brought it home from Pine City, Minnesota.

It's a homemade jobbie that needs a bit of engineering and fabrication in order to make it useful, but the majority of the work has been completed.

I look forward to posting more photos as the project takes shape over the summer.

Joel Sawmill 1.jpg Sawmill 2.jpg Sawmill 3.jpg Sawmill 4.jpg

This mill will currently handle a log 27" in diameter by 20 feet in length. When I'm done with it, it will handle a log 30" x 20'.

I've ordered new roller guides for the blade through Cook's Saw and the new engine with electric start is already here. The bed needs some log dogs, but I'll get those fabricated up very soon.

I look forward to using it a whole lot more this summer Raj.

Joel

It's built well, but I think the guy was in a hurry to use it and didn't put much effort into finishing it off properly. It's in dire need of a few details in order to make it operate as it should.

The new parts have arrived and now I'm just waiting for some warm weather so that I can go out there to begin putting the finishing touches on it. It's April 2 d and we'll have temps below zero tonight. No warm weather in the forecast for at least 10 days. Tired of this crap.

Joel

Thanks Gary. I have some problems. The nose sprocket it way bigger diameter than on the 36" .375 pitch bar, so the bar clamp is covering a fraction of the nose sprocket. Doesn't seem an issue yet. Need to find a longer bar anyway, one that is not $499 CAD. :(

Just read up on it.

Some are made from hollowed logs, all one piece milled to your specs.

Steam bent is second best.

I'll definately check it out.

26" 8ft long oak, with full comp regular chain, not ripping. 088 cut like butter, no air filter issues like the 066 has. :)

20180420_093812.jpg

I remember that, also. I've ripped big logs with square ground, it rips very well. You just have the sharpening issue.

Do they make a square grinding jig that's effective?

I've never tried to learn. Not applicable to my work (nails and employees). Haven't had the time to learn, nor an easy way.

For milling, I could be applicable, and worth learning.

Why 0.404, versus 0.375? All of my 20-36" bars and chains are 0.375 , except one 36" / 0.404.

willard mentioned 404.

Something about cleared chips better with a wider kerf????

I have some 375 milling-angle, round ground chisel to try once I move in a few weeks, and can make noise.

It looks kind of sloppy not cutting the hinge off first.
Or maybe that is just the logger in me being used to trim logs for the mill.

Wasn't my drop, in this particular job the HO had the tree dropped and couldn't get rid of the logs since last fall. I cut it into thick boards so I can handle (somewhat) easily, then resaw them later. Quick (somewhat) cleanup job.

Back