HUNTING 2017

Bloody coyotes!

Yes, it should be a very interesting fall.....and winter.

I of course missed the antelope sign up again.....for the 15th year.

But I might shoot a couple deer this year. Lots of mule deer around and some nice bucks. Cheap protein for the family.

Bird season is going to be very bad for us. Wont get near the income off that like we did.

Also thinking about getting a snow mobile and getting into the fur business. Bloody coyote might be worth some money again this winter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You and I feel the same way about the yotes Jim. I grew up trapping, it was a real passion and in those days I could make some spending money as well. It was mostly snaring for me, bought aircraft cable by the thousand foot roll. I'd love to see fur prices where they were 35 years ago.
I hear those high country western bobcats are still pretty valuable too. Do ya'll have any cats in your area Jim?

Is that a salt lick or are the colour in the picture off?

I can't imagine being passionate about snaring animals, as cruel a way of killing as there is.

May your God forgive you, I can't.

No salt, just sand. That's what topsoil looks like here Stig.
Mick, just curious of your snaring experience. I've released more animals alive and well from snares than you can imagine, from bobcats to old ladies. And by the way, that would not be my choice but that's what the anti-trappers in Florida lobbied for and is now the only legal practical method of trapping.

I can't imagine being passionate about snaring animals, as cruel a way of killing as there is.

May your God forgive you, I can't.

😂😂

Is buck, elk, bear and cougar season here. I need to get my bow out in case I have an opportunity to go. It's so stinking busy!

Hunting, trapping... it just doesn't seem like I have time anymore. And when I do have time I can't afford it. Nice pics limbrat.

Hunting camp last fall, more like a 6 day camping trip. I spent more time visiting and sightseeing than I did hunting.
IMG_2371.jpg

Some really cool pics there Ray!!...that Yote with fawn, Wow!

Buddy, nice deer camp!....just being there and sightseeing is why I go, very relaxing ;)

I accompanied a friend to a hunting camp once in Northern California. We spent the night. I wasn't hunting, but nice guys there. One man was teaching his young son to shoot a rifle for the first time by way of a gentle education, what I particularly remember. Real life....

The older I get I just like being up there in them mountains, huntings not the priority but I still hunt, fly fishing is my fav to date....upland game is my second fav.

No salt, just sand. That's what topsoil looks like here Stig.
Mick, just curious of your snaring experience. I've released more animals alive and well from snares than you can imagine, from bobcats to old ladies. And by the way, that would not be my choice but that's what the anti-trappers in Florida lobbied for and is now the only legal practical method of trapping.

Used to snare rabbits as a youngster (as part of a rural up bringing) usually unsuccessfully, but after seeing the aftermath of a couple of "successes" I felt sick and decided not to continue. I continued to catch them with ferrets and participate in pheasant shoots.

It's not your choice you say, but it was your passion.

I accompanied a friend to a hunting camp once in Northern California. We spent the night. I wasn't hunting, but nice guys there. One man was teaching his young son to shoot a rifle for the first time by way of a gentle education, what I particularly remember. Real life....

As opposed to what, The Matrix?

Mick, I don't owe you any explanation and you may not hear it anyway, but out of common courtesy (which has become very uncommon these days), here you go. Trapping was a lot like tree work for me, I got paid to kill some stuff and save other stuff. I've worked for various organizations to trap coons on barrier islands that were digging up endangered sea turtle eggs and ravaging seabird nests, otters that were cleaning out fish ponds, etc, etc. Right now I'm waiting on permits to trap beaver that are trying their best to flood out several homeowners. Snaring is not what peta or anti-everything groups would have you believe. I built my own snares out of aircraft cable, different diameters and lays for different applications. Loops of different sizes for different animals in different situations. The goal is to catch and hold an animal with no fur damage, not cut him in half. If you damage the hide, you don't get paid. When I first started snaring, I'd practice catching my own dogs, who would simply lay down, look at me like, okay, you got me again, take this stupid thing off now. Trapping also helped put food on the table of a young family that really needed it. I hope that helps.

I accompanied a friend to a hunting camp once in Northern California. We spent the night. Real life....
Very well put Jay, it is real life. There's nothing like a hunting (or fishing) camp. The camaraderie, relaxation and anticipation is something that has to be experienced to be understood.

Great picture Buddy, you live in some gorgeous, rugged country. If you're ever in the Elk River area and find a couple of butts laying in the woods, they belong to my son and I. We froze them off out there several years ago.

Well put yourself, Ray. Just some simple enjoyments without pretensions or the need for frills. Friends and family hanging out in a good mood together is what I found, and kind welcoming of a me as a stranger....even though I have no hunting stories. No snide wanna be clever remarks either, like post #18.

Don't worry, I won't darken this thread again for a while.

I believe snares to be cruel, possibly the most effective way to curb a nuisance species but cruel nevertheless, we could go into a whole world of links, studies and apocryphal stories but it would change nothing.

I found the idea of using them as someone's "passion" to be beyond the pale, so I said so.

I know nothing about snaring, I simply said I enjoyed some people's company. That's laughable, eh? I haven't a clue why you teed off on me, Mick.

Back