Freeze Ahead Dinner

vharrison

Island Girl
:? Any ideas? My folks are heading down next weekend and I would like to pre cook a meal or two so I don't have to spend so much time in the kitchen while they are here. I always do lasagna and it is still yummy after being frozen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking about chili, just don't know if we will have any more cool snaps. I guess we could eat chili even if it wasn't cool.

Manicotti is good to freeze.

I agree with Chili.....freeze it in ziplocks about the size you'll need, flat....it will thaw fast then. 15 minutes for rice and cornbread and meal is done.

Check here Gigi....you might find something new.

meat loaf? meat loaf hamburgers? Cream of squash/tomatoe/etc. soup? Cold pasta salads with chicken & veggies in it? Never hurt to have some pasta sauce on hand...

i was thinking soup. also like che said freeze flat, say hamburger and sauce so you can make spagetti.

Freeze fresh pasta....very fast to cook. Frozen Enchiladas are good too

Great ideas! Che, I have never cooked manicotti. Well, maybe once. Meatloaf? I can do meatloaf and had not thought of that one, thanks Frans!

Che, thanks for the link.

Manicotti freezes really well. I saw a recipe on T.V. that blew me away >>> It uses flat lasagna, & makes perfect sense ! Easy peasy.
Remember I tried it a while back & it was excellent, save for the pasta sauce I used ??? (Emilio's roasted garlic. Just awful !)
Lemme know if you want to try it. I'm thinking that it'd be easier on an older digestive system, too. Real mild.
Any kind of pasta reacts well to freezing. Yay !!!

I saw a T.V. show on it, & tried it. It worked beautifullly !!!
Cook flat lasagna el dente (sp.???), lay a row of stuffing, then roll it up. OMG, so different from stuffing manicotti !!!
So easy, I was embarassed !
Gotta go pick up my boy from the Skate Park >>> Back later !
Luv you'z guy'z !!!

That sounds like a great idea, TC. I've used a ziplock bag like a pastry bag to 'pipe' the filling in....but I think your trick sounds even better.

Here's the recipe I've used, I think I remember thinking I'd add about 1/2 cup to the sauce as it got a bit 'dry'...otherwise a big hit with everyone:

Make-Ahead Manicotti

1-15oz container Ricotta
2 large eggs
1-10oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & well drained
1 cup (4oz) shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (divided in two)
1½ Tblsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
12 uncooked Manicotti shells
1-32oz jar spaghetti sauce*

> Stir together ricotta & eggs, stir in spinach & mozzarella, ¼ cup Parmesan, sugar, salt, pepper.

> Using fork or teaspoon, stuff into shells *see note below

> Spread ½ c. spaghetti sauce into bottom of greased 11” x 7” baking dish, place shells in single layer, pour remaining sauce over shells, covering completely

> Cover & chill 8 hours

> Bake, covered @ 400°F for 40 minutes

> Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan & bake 15 additional minutes

> Makes 6 servings *I used Paul Newman’s or Emerill’s (sp?) Marinara

I saw a hint on tv for stuffing manicotti shells: take a gallon ziplock and fill with the stuffing mixture, clip off a corner and squeeze into one side of shell til half thru, turn and do same to other side. (Good trick for filling cupcake/muffin tins, too)

really thinly sliced egg plant works as a great subsitute for lasagne noodles

i like the chili idea, but also think freezing it is one way to make it hotter; the freezing would crack the spices open more?!

Gig, make sure to get the flat box of lasagna >>> It looks like a really big deck of cards.
Rather than boil them, lay them in a dish & pour boiling water over them.
Wait about 5 minutes (until the sheets are pliable), then do your wraps.
It's a walk in the park.

Gig, make sure to get the flat box of lasagna >>> It looks like a really big deck of cards.
Rather than boil them, lay them in a dish & pour boiling water over them.
Wait about 5 minutes (until the sheets are pliable), then do your wraps.
It's a walk in the park.

T, I don't think we have the flat box here. I have never seen it. I will look again.

Back