Welding Books?

brendonv

Tree Hugger
This year I want to get some small welding projects I have brewing in my head made.

Can anyone recommend any introductory books on welding?

More so focused on mig welding.

"The Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch... if memory serves me correctly. It's a decent book that encompases a wide variety of welding, but is very informative. There are also textbooks that can be checked out from libraries, depending if they shelve them or not, again very informative, however may be a bit over-complicated for a beginner.

I also find good old trial and error to be a good teaching tool. :D

I bought a little mig machine a few years ago, just piddled with it. I had welded in school (stick), but this was my first mig. I quickly realized I needed a bigger machine. So I saved some pennies and upgraded to a bigger mig machine.

I had several projects I wanted to do out of aluminum and also wanted better results on thin steel. I saved my pennies, a ton of them, and bought myself a tig.

I never had anyone show me how to weld with tig or mig, I had stick welded before I had welding in school. Pretty much just learned it on my own. Once you have the idea down its all about technique from there.

I tig almost everything now, just like doing it more than mig.

My local welding supply house has small intro to welding classes, just one evening a week. Cheap and informative. I haven't been to one but know several people that have. You might look into something like that.

Oh an half the battle of working with metal is cutting it. I got a torch, several saws, bandsaw, and a plasma cutter. Plasma is my favorite by far...

I bought a little mig machine a few years ago, just piddled with it. I had welded in school (stick), but this was my first mig. I quickly realized I needed a bigger machine. So I saved some pennies and upgraded to a bigger mig machine.

I had several projects I wanted to do out of aluminum and also wanted better results on thin steel. I saved my pennies, a ton of them, and bought myself a tig.

I never had anyone show me how to weld with tig or mig, I had stick welded before I had welding in school. Pretty much just learned it on my own. Once you have the idea down its all about technique from there.

I tig almost everything now, just like doing it more than mig.

I have already decided on having at least a 210 class machine for my next mig. I will also go with a spool gun for aluminum or gas shielded cored wires. I want to go with a tig eventually as well, but for practicality I'm better off in the current long term with a better mig and spool gun set up. For thin stock, my current welder, once converted to mig, will be perfect for sheet metal(HH 125).

Yeah I had a little 100 amp machine to start with, got a 210 now and wish I had gone bigger yet. I usually just use it for hard facing.

Oh an half the battle of working with metal is cutting it. I got a torch, several saws, bandsaw, and a plasma cutter. Plasma is my favorite by far...

But there is still somthing to say about busting out the torch and welding or brazing stuff as well. ;)

I visited the Rayco factory and they use a laser cutter, all computer controlled. They put in a sheet of steel, enter all the pieces they want to cut, and the computer arranges the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle to get the maximum amount out of each sheet. John Bowling Jr. showed me the skeleton of a processed sheet and the cutouts were only about 1/8 inch apart. Talk about precision cutting and minimizing waste!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has anyone used their Mig with an aluminum kit? How does it come out? Is it just like doing it with steel?

actually aluminum is easier to weld. i use straight argon as a sheild. it does sluff alot quicker than steel but you will develop an eye for it

good for thick metal to if you get a big one, you hardly have to dress the cus when yourdone!

Well that sounds pretty sweet. What does actylene torch do that the plasma won't. One problem I have with the actylene torch is leaving the valves on and all of my oxygen will leak out in a couple of days.

The only way to acquire the maniplative welding skills is to do it.Most methods are similar but slightly different.

Certain exotic steels such as HY -80,T1, Manteen etc require slightly different methods but most people will never have the need to ever weld these steels.It has been decades since I have .

Regarding the plasma cutters,I have cut 1" cast iron with one nearly as cleanly as with a saw.The thing about a plasma machine is the fact they will cut about anything ,whereas a torch is limited to steel,no cast,no stainless.

Aluminum welding is a pain in the butt for me,it doesn't change color much as it melts and my welds look terrible.

I never really checked it out but I don't doubt there may be some help on the internet with welding questions.

In my tons of equipment,I have no MIG no TIG but I do have two engine driven welders,4 electric machines and 4 sets of torchs.That's what happens if you hold your hand up too long at an auction sale.:lol:

you can weld and heat with a torch steve, plasma is just for cutting. i turn my valves on and off every time i use them. i dont use em every day (or even every week) so it only makes sence for me

Back