Sometimes it'd help to be heartless

NickfromWI

King of Splices
At work we are hiring a new tree care coordinator for my department. We interviewed 5 candidates and I told them all I would call them this week to tell them our decision.

I'm talking to people on the phone now and it hurts to hear the disappointment in their voice when I tell them they didn't get the position.

I just try to keep it short and sweet. Avg conversation is about 10 or 20 seconds...but yikes this sucks.

love
nick

It sucks but that's why you get the big bucks. At this rate it will be over in another 30 seconds. Just think how elated the guy will be that got the job.

It's also better than being on the other end of the phone. That would suck worse.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's why I told them I'd call. I remember when I was applying for positions and you'd go to an interview....then get called back to a second interview..then they say they will call, but never do.

Meanwhile you're sitting at home hoping, and maybe putting other things on hold.

I didn't want to do the same thing to them.

It's all over now though!

love
nick

ps- you're right....gotta remember the big bucks!!!

You just have to remember that it is nothing personal, you made your choice. That's a good thing of you to call them and let them know. You don't owe any of them an explaination, as to why.

My old boss would tell customers, "don't worry, we take them to the animal sanctuary. They'll be alright." I'd watch him carefully bundle baby squirrells and birds in his jacket....only to throw them through the chipper at the next job!

love
nick

chipper = animal sanctuary :)

Just call the people it is diappointing but not near as disappointing as not calling them back. A call back shows respect.

Some say firing sucks. I love it. Laying off...well, glad I never had to do that one.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I wouldn't mind firing someone if they aren't doing a good job, but just having to lay them off because the big boss says so....that'd suck.

I wouldn't want to be the messenger there, but it would suck worse to have someone ELSE telling your good employee they gotta go.

love
nick

I was gonna say... just try laying somebody off... better yet, sitting through 4 hour meetings trying to choose WHO gets laid off and who doesn't... that's why I'm doing tree work now. My BP shot up to 180/120 when that was going on.

You did better than most by calling back. It's hard but it's the right thing.

That's why I told them I'd call. I remember when I was applying for positions and you'd go to an interview....then get called back to a second interview..then they say they will call, but never do.

Meanwhile you're sitting at home hoping, and maybe putting other things on hold.

I didn't want to do the same thing to them.

It's all over now though!

love
nick

ps- you're right....gotta remember the big bucks!!!

I meant to commend you on the call back. That shows a lot of class and respect. Way too many places can't be bothered.

Looking for a job is kinda hard work, that you due fer free. What really sucks is to be left hanging. Even if you are calling to say you found someone else more qualified or befitting; it shows a certain amount of respect to do that.

i know; i've been on both ends of the stick; and in fact am looking fer a job now...

Good job Nick. I've only been on three job interviews. I got hired on one of them and on the two others I didn't but on one I got a call from a friend who was on the board of directors that did the hiring. It was way better than to be just left hanging and I even got an explanation as to why they hired the other guy instead of me and I understood.

REVENGE IS SWEET however. The guy they hired instead of me got caught stealing about 1% of the product that goes through this place and charging a bunch of crap like his kids feed for their FFA projects to the business and such. He was arrested last week and bailed out and the directors are all down there pouring over the books. He went into the hospital to have an emergency appendectomy and one of the directors who had been suspicious took that opportunity to go into the office and check things out. If that wasn't enough he also had a drug habit and used to go and buy some parts from some guy and then sell them back to him for cash to go buy his drugs. He seemed like a really nice guy, and was a trusted employee by the business.

Back