Whatcha think?

• HD-DVD

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Blu-Ray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Which do you think will win the format wars?

Blu-ray has more corporate support, higher storage rates, and the launch of the PS3 at its advantage. It also costs a lot more to produce, the players are launching at almost double that of HD-DVD players, not all players will be backwards compatible with DVD, and Sony seems to be cursed for failed formats. It's clearly the videophile format. Could it suffer the same fate as Betamax or will it come out on top?

HD-DVD has less storage space and is not specified for 1080p, but 1080p in the mainstream is quite a ways off and displays are still very expensive. The discs are cheaper to make, are 100% backwards compatible with DVD, and there are already players and discs out at reasonable prices. However, the players are also a bit bug-ridden and Blu-Ray players are only a month away. Also, let's face it, HD-DVD is a hell of a better name for the mainstream than Blu-Ray.

What do ya'll think? :drink:

I'm hoping for HD-DVD.

I have an old VCR in the cabinet under my (unplugged) television in the living room. Does that count?

I remember when 7-11 not only rented movies but also rented the video cassette players! :lol:

I went to Wal Mart last year and bought a $79 DVD player so I could watch my DVDs from Jerry. My new computer has a DVD player/ burner built in although I have only used it once, and I've never burned a CD or DVD.

As far as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, I'll just wait a couple years and both will be obsolete and something even newer will be all the rage. :roll:

Well I just bought a hd-dvd/VHS combo that records both directions so now I suppose I have to get the blu-ray also. Hey anybody need an old beta machine?

I only knew one of my buddies' that had a Beta machine, we still razz him about it. :D

computer geek actually. was writing math programs and such for teachers to use in class when I was in grade 5 on a VIC 20, I still remember some of that BASIC stuff, hahah going in to radio shack and screwing a Tandy machine into a neverending loop displaying foul language was such a hoot!

I still have all my Gocards from highschool but I wont post them, it would totally date me. HA!

I have an old VCR in the cabinet under my (unplugged) television in the living room. Does that count?

I remember when 7-11 not only rented movies but also rented the video cassette players! :lol:

I went to Wal Mart last year and bought a $79 DVD player so I could watch my DVDs from Jerry. My new computer has a DVD player/ burner built in although I have only used it once, and I've never burned a CD or DVD.

As far as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, I'll just wait a couple years and both will be obsolete and something even newer will be all the rage. :roll:

As scary as it may be,

YUP,

YUP,

YUP,

And YUP!!!!

It's the old format wars again. To hell with them all. It's just a ploy to get the consumer to keep upgrading their entertainment systems. Just like Brian said.

Though I will have to admit, back in the 70's and 80's, beta was much better than VHS. But who could afford it then. Not a common working man.

As far and HD and Blue Ray there's not that much difference I can see. Course my eyes are getting a little tired.

hd-dvd next on the list

I got the hdtv for christmas, had to get the hd cable box the day after. Now I can watch about 15 of 300 channels in hd......:what:

the picture really is amazing though, I was just watching forest firefighters in BC.

I remember payng almost $800 for my first VCR. Remember what your first calculater or digital watch cost ?

$600 for my first cellular phone. It was hard wired into my truck with the control box behind the seat and the 'hockey puck' antenna base glued to the corner of the windshield. A month after I bought it, AT&T started a promo selling the exact same phone for $150. :roll:

I remember a former employer of mine having the briefcase cell phone. My first was in about 1996, one of the flip phone things after the 'contractor brick' phone fell out of vogue. Been paying through the nose since!

Remember what your first calculater or digital watch cost ?

$50 for a Corvus 'Scientific' Calculator.......1973/1974. I got a 50% mark down as an employee discount since I sat in an assembly line soldering the silly things. You can get the same functions now for $1 at Wally world.

I paid a thousand for my first phone. It was hardwired into the truck and had box under the seat and an external antenna. The plan was $36/month and $.36/minute. If you made a call while roaming, another 15 to 75 dollars depending on where you were. It actually paid for itself, but you sure didn't f___ around on it though. Transformed working in real remote areas.
I don't know much about either of the new HD formats other than what I have learned on this thread.

Back