My First Deer

lumberjack

Young man on the go
Got my first deer with a rifle tonight. Shot it a few minutes after sunset, 6 minutes of civil twilight left. It's an 8 point (4x4), they said it weighed 225-250lbs. 16" spread, they said 120-130" gross score. Roughly a 325 yard shot, Google Earth doesn't have a good picture of it, so I can't range it there. I'll get out hopefully tomorrow and check the range.

They allowed as how it wasn't a bad first deer :)

DerrickMeandthedeer.jpg

Well done my friend.:thumbup:

I just got home from helping a bro pull an elk off his mountain.:|: Damn those things are big!

Congrats on your first deer!

Way to go Carl,

Looks like you have some fine eating over the next few month!

BTW, Jeff (fishhuntcutwood), uses the hair from the deer tail to tie his flies for fishing! Hint Hint.;)

Good job my friend!

Bob

gut it and eat it and you got my props amigo. :) hunting for food is ok in my book.

careful of your hunting partner, he seems to wear camo and he might actually be bigger than you!:\:

Ya Carl,

Who glued them big deer antlers onto that poor little baby deer? :P :lol:

HC

Nice looking rack Carl, good thick beams. You have to let the rack dry for around 6 weeks and then you can score it. I would say it will score in the
150s. Congrats on your first deer.
See Ya
Mike

Nice one LJ. Is it a whitetail? I remember how excited I was when getting a deer. Have you shot other deer with different methods, bow, shotgun?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha Pauly, I gave Derrick and his father most of the meet, I brought home a inner and outter strap, and a rear roast. I think Derrick looks bigger than me, he and others disagree (we ask random people). I have about 10lbs on him.

Nope Steve, first one I didn't orginally hit with a vehicle. And yes, it is a white tail.

Stumper and Dr. I was going by their weight guesses. 'They" was Derrick (in the picture) his dad, and half a dozen other folk that came to look at the deer. As it turned out, I had to do very little to no dragging of said deer, and didn't have to do much in the way of dressing it. Derrick and the others grabbed my deer and out the woods it went.

The middle of the length of the neck was easily 26" in circumference. My hands could just reach past the centerline of the neck. Granted there was friction, but my 250lbs foot locking/bouncing the rope didn't get the front shoulders off the bed.

Another picture:
Deer.jpg

Who are they? "They" overestimated the weight. Congrats on the nice deer.
Carl, I would have to agree with Stump on this. A buck 200 lbs. or better is just huge. Hard to tell things from a pic though.
Regardless, that is a really nice buck!

Yes Carl, you have a really nice rack!

...on the deer that is!:P

Bob

Nice buck.Most likely a good size for that area.

Deer are a product of their diet, around here they get a tad bigger.On the average they are about as large as a Colorado muley and taste a whole lot better.Corn and soybeans make for better tasting venison than sagebrush and pine needles.:P

Nice deer, Carl. I remember shooting my first deer when I was 10. A spike, about 150 lbs if I recall. What a thrill! I was on top of the world.

I haven't hunted since 1983. I'd like to go at least one more time with my dad, he'll be 90 this coming April. I hear Alabama has some nice deer. Can someone recommend a place for us to go? I googled it and came up with a bazillion different places.

Nice buck.Most likely a good size for that area.

Deer are a product of their diet, around here they get a tad bigger.On the average they are about as large as a Colorado muley and taste a whole lot better.Corn and soybeans make for better tasting venison than sagebrush and pine needles.:P

Easy now, it takes one BIG whitetail to be like a Colorado muley... at least where I hunt. And the deer in that area happen to have a sweet taste to them, never gamy and nasty.

I just got home from spending all day pulling 2 cow elk off the top of the mountain in the same area that I deer hunt. I'm exhausted in a bad way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got it to the taxi's this afternoon.

He put it around 125", minimum weight of 215lbs.

21 or 22" and some change tight behind the head, 24.5" 3" back. (circumference)

ETA:
I did some research online, as curiosity is eating me alive. The "normal' whitetail weighs between 9-10lbs (dressed) per inch of circumference tight behind the head, 1.3 times the dressed weight to get the weight on the hoof. One man claimed 80% accuracy to 5+/-lbs with this "formula." He claimed in his area, 10lbs was the norm.

So, if it was:
21"x8lbsi x 1.3=218.4 lbs on the hoof
22" x 8lbsi x1.3=228.3
21"x8lbsix1.2=201.6

Purely speculation, but amusing if only for the moment.

They get pretty big eh, cool! I love big burly bucks.:D

What was the final score? I would agree with the 120-130 but I am not the best judge.

Back