1/2" chain... Missed an Opportunity.

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
I was at Wood's Logging yesterday picking up a 100 foot roll of chain for da Skwerl... and was BSing with the guys behind the counter about old saws and big chain.

I asked if they had ever come across some of the old 1/2" chipper or chisel...

I just about fell over when Chuck told me, "We just sold 8 boxes of the stuff for 50 bucks 2 weeks ago. It'd been sittin' here for years. Some guy asked us the same question and we sold him the whole lot for 50 bucks." :O

He then told me I should check some of the saw shops in BC... they might have some layin' around... any BC'ers wanna check into that for me? :)

Oh well... so I'm still on the hunt for some 1/2" chain...

Gary

Gary, give me something to do!

I called my shop and the biggest chain they have is .404? What was the 1/2 chain used for? Let me at least sound educated if I call someone else! :lol:

Damn-it Gary you should have asked sooner! Just funning ya. What a disappointment, how many of us including you have been looking for it? Ahhhh shitballs.
See Ya
Mike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gary, give me something to do!

I called my shop and the biggest chain they have is .404? What was the 1/2 chain used for? Let me at least sound educated if I call someone else! :lol:

1/2" chain was used on the big old saws from the 50's and 60's on into the 70's... When saws got lighter and faster... the big 1/2" chain kinda fell by the wayside. So it is not made anymore...

The 1/2" chisel type is really getting scarce because it is preferred by saw racers... the "chipper" type is more common to find if at all. Thank you for checking Gigi... It used to be all over up here in the PNW... but it's even hard to find up here.

Mike... I hear ya... as much as I go to that saw shop... I can't believe I didn't ask sooner...:(

Oh well... ya win some...

Gary

Gary, I have a new loop of 1/2 chipper I'll give you for christmas, but dont tell nobody. pm me your address. I think it is 74 drivers and I got lots of presets for it to make your loop.

Are you sure it's 56RC? 46 is .404 63ga. Measure the distance between 3 rivets and divide by 2. THis will give you the pitch. I'll have to do some digging to ID this chain.
See Ya
Mike

My local saw shop said that 56RC is a 1/2" chain that Stihl doesn't make anymore but there may be some kicking around still.

I had a feeling that it had to be 7/16" or 1/2" but wasn't sure. They even made 9/16" chain, and still make 3/4" chain. If anyone comes across any of the 7/16", 9/16" or 1/2" chain please let either Gary or me know, thanks in advance.
See Ya
Mike

I would have thought there would be at least a little bit left in the PNW.

About a year ago Dozer found several loops and wanted to sell it rather cheaply.I would have bought it myself if I knew it was that hard to find.

At the time I figured since I had several loops plus about 18 feet of bulk that I found via e-bay that while being rare ,it wasn't impossible to find.I guess I was wrong.

I don't get it either Al, one would think there the stuff would be easier to find then it is. Hopefully we get enough people looking we can find some more. That is as long as Gary isn't the one looking:P Sorry Gary I couldn't resist.
See Ya
Mike

Yeah... tried ebay... and I only touched on the subject once over at Eric's (Raised by Wolves) website... the House od Homelite.

You would think there is more layin' around out here... but guys that have race saws snatchit up as fast as they can find it. Especially the chisel. I know 2 of the Unlimited Hotsaw guys that are runnin' it on their saws... and they are even low on stock.

Robert my friend... I will be down in Orting from the 24th to the 27th... PM comin' your way...

You guessed it Larry... the 770G will be cuttin' as soon as I get a loop of 1/2".

Squish... 56RC was the old Stihl 1/2" chisel I believe... in .063, which is the guage I need too... I don't think 1/2" chain came in any other guage than .063... but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the help... I love this place!:thumbup:

Gary

Squish... 56RC was the old Stihl 1/2" chisel I believe... in .063, which is the guage I need too... I don't think 1/2" chain came in any other guage than .063... but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the help... I love this place!:thumbup:

Gary
It came in .058 also ,check out Mike Acres site.My big old 48 inch bar in the avatar is Mac branded and is .058. It most likely was for a big old geardrive back in the day.If my info is correct according to the numbers on the bar I seriously doubt if they made a direct drive in those days that could handle that much.

I don't get it either Al, one would think there the stuff would be easier to find then it is. Hopefully we get enough people looking we can find some more. That is as long as Gary isn't the one looking:P Sorry Gary I couldn't resist.
See Ya
Mike

LMAO Mike...

I guess I need to start callin' more saw shops around here. Since the stinkin' shop that I primarily use had it right under my nose... all I had to do was ask...

Man... 8 rolls of 1/2" for 50 bucks... I could have set up a lot of people with 1/2" chain for super cheep!

Gary

I agree... that is what I have found on ebay as well...

I would pay something close to that for chisel... but not chipper.

Thanks for posting the links Blacksmith...

Sent ya a PM Robert...

Gary

There is some 56RC up here, but not a full roll. Let me know Gary if you want me to look into it further. Maybe send me a pm if you do as I'm so busy I may miss this thread if the snow keeps up.

Hey Gary, did you ever hook up with some 1/2"?

Im going to go shake up the local who has some, if your looking let me know.

Back