Backing up data: RichCopy

theTreeSpyder

TreeHouser
Quotes:
"There is no part# for your data"
"Backing up means never having to say your sorry"
"Data is made of unubtanium and can only be cloned not created"
Backing up can be a drudgery, but also can be automated; and can really save your butt, tax records, kids pix etc.
Can backup as a disk image clonezilla.org/
or using DOS 'verbs' for file copies; really best 1 of each type, but i just use fileCopy verbs.
A backup image could be bootable/but not indiv. files, a fileCopy cannot boot/but has individual files.
If backing up a Punctured RAID array, the file image will pickup the puncture
and could put it back on another set of disks like it was a VIRUS(Vital Information Resources Under Siege).
A fileCopy will report punctured array file, but not copy it, so won't carry bad file to another set of disks!
Most all have heard of MS Copy and beefier xCopy.
They are CLI (Command Line Interface as opposed to GUI Graphic User Interface); single threading, no network tools etc.
Later MS added RoboCopy (robustCopy) that is MULTI-THREADING/fast, more options etc. but still CLI.
i've been using RichCopy almost 10yrs., it is a front end GUI for RoboCopy to my SD slot for stuff i want to backup(Desktop and Documents).
i leave card in slot, and have 1 in drawer that i swap around every so often in case of theft/fire etc.
For daily financials would network backup, tool can write to USB etc.
RichCopy.pdf very nicely shows how to use GUI to set backup and run,
and then also have it give command to copy to file and have Windows Task Manager run on whatever schedule
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx

I wonder which Kenny knows more about, tree work or puters!

Kenny...any advice about using the Cloud for backup? I have 3 computers I would like to stay backed up. Carbonite...Mosey...Verizon Cloud? Any recommendations?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wish i knew more of each!
i haven't used external cloud much i'm sorry.
i got an Android TV stick 3 yrs. ago all Chinese back then; had to flash to english.
But, since; we've had it the 1T + 2T hd as in house cloud for storage; and i can get inside ntw from outside, to access about anywhere.
What's your cloud needs?
USB backup good too, done plenty; but ties up a slot and can get knocked wrong, hanging out; especially a laptop being moved etc.
Card slot is dedicated to storage; so doesn't tie up usb /everything slot.
SD card is easier to lose, especially micro.
SD reader commonly maps thru usb bus, so similar speed.
No mo cable TV, $8/mo. Netflix thru Android stick + kat.cr downloads, can't remember last time i saw a commercial!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks pretty strong!
Hey, i got 2 hardware troubleshooting tips that have served me very well for decades.
If get a dimm err,HD err etc. better than just reseating, swap with like in box/ or matching box.
Err now goes to 1 of 3 states: resolved by reseat / followed device(fault)/ stayed on connection point(fault).
So if err follows dimm, replace dimm, if err stays, is mobo/riser chain etc.
Another trick, that can be real strong; and best to do as a discharge before reseat/replace stuff
and for testing if stuck flag showing err, won't start etc.
1st thing, remove any laptop battery etc.(not cmos); remove all power.
Hold in power button 1 minute = tell to go forward/but can't so leaches power from all capacitors.
Less chance of problem on reseat, but also some dead as a doornail/no fan bump even boxes start.
Some err flags clear etc. Makes box take a fresh start/ no settings etc. lost though.

Back