Advice on Prevailing Wage work

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I have a VA Hospital that need a tree assessment and possibly pruning/ removal work.

Its going to be subbed though another company to me, I think.

I just sent off some preliminary questions before the initial contact on site.

Advice, anecdotes, etc appreciated.

908f0da07701c17a0d760053450ab650.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The gist is that they first need an arborist evaluation. Only me working, so prevailing wage is not a big deal, since I'm exempt, and if I underestimate time, I am not out money from my pocket, just not as much money per hour into my pocket.

They will want a recommendations for pruning and removal work to be done, which will presumably be a seperate bid, which is the really part I need to get done 'right'.

My understanding is that basically, I will be paying $44.xx for machine operators (chipper), or sawyers. I will have to submit Certified Payroll, or at least have it done as Certified Payroll, not sure which. I don't know if I can have a dragger/ raker who does neither, at a lesser rate.

I know that people have been screwed by going over on employee time, paying $400-500/ day/ employee in wages alone, plus proportionate payroll taxes.

I expect that pruning/ removal might be a big project where I might have to work on it beginning to end without payment, which could stretch me really thin, especially since my project before is for an HOA, which means delayed payment on $4-5-6K, without much nest egg in the bank account. Could be different going through a general contractor.

Do government contracts generally pay only at the end, or are there sometimes project phases with progress payments (suppose there are 50 trees to prune/ remove, taking a while).

I know machines over hand labor as much as possible.

If I am subcontracting, the subcontractor has to file an Affidavit of Intent to Pay PW to all employees. My grapple truck driver has gone off paper, no business license.

There was a TCIA magazine article about PW, in which they said some people just avoid them because of the extra challenges and risk. Its one thing to be paying a guy $16/ hour and go over, but a whole 'nother at $44.

One simple question: are VA hospitals typically gated where I may have delays getting my equipment in and out due to security searches. Its attached to a military base, but not sure if its outside its security. Traffic in and out of the base, proper, sucks at certain times of day.

Don't bid your consult cheap because you're not subject. Most of these guys are not nickel and diming you, they just want your price to include into their bid. Bid it healthy, if you inspire confidence and do the job right they'll call you again. Calculate the hours the job will take and multiply it by the rate you come up with. Don't feel bad at how high it is, just turn it in. They don't know what your costs are.

All I know is PW also includes benefits. That's the dollar per hour including health insurance, pension, and vacation pay. I get on PW jobs and I think they basically consider tree workers in general as laborers. Since I used to be in the laborer's Union, I know that the XXXX per hour I see one paycheck now is not the same as they see. Letting you know in case this goes beyond consulting for you and you have employees involved.

Didn't the pv wages recently change? Maybe it's just California,but im sure its a federal thing,im under the impression they are waayyy lower than b4....

Sean,

The goal of the assessment is to determine if there are any hazard trees in close proximity to the buildings and walkways on the VA Campus. Apparently the last wind storm caused a large fir tree to come down - they are unsure if it was due to soil erosion, disease, or possibly another cause. They want a tree survey performed in order to identify any other potential hazard trees. In addition to identifying hazard trees, we need a recommendation for the appropriate remedial action. A written report with a diagram/map of tree location is required. Trees will need to be identified (tagged) so they can be easily located and matched to report over the next year or two.

I would like to meet you onsite for an orientation. I would like to preview another tree survey that you have performed recently. I will need a firm price before you perform the tree survey and prepare a written report. This is not a requirement for tree removal or trimming, just the tree survey so they can plan future actions.

I will need to find out what number of trees they have to be inspected. The overall campus is huge. The more occupied area is still big.

How to bid-price an eval, aside from high? Previously, I've done all hourly inspections.

I will need to propose to them the level of inspection with proper verbiage (drive past, walk past, individual inspection).

Yep, specify level of inspection and any limitations to the inspection. If you've done reports for them before you have an idea of your time involved. Just define the assignment with him and that will help you know how involved the report will be. Have you been through the ASCA academy?

No on ASCA.

My inspections in the past have been mainly homeowners, with some HOA/ retirement community. State Parks was constant evaluation, almost no written reports...internal system with codes and hazard points.
Trained by USFS for developed and undeveloped address hazard rating.

I all interested to hear what you have to say about ASCA.

I am limited as a reporter/ assessor but think I have a solid starting point.

Also, no Errors & Omissions Insurance. Do you carry it?

I found the academy very useful, TRAQ as well.
I do not have e&o, agent felt the amount of reports I do would be covered under my umbrella.

What kind of umbrella coverage do you have? I have Gen Liability, Commercial Auto, W/C, Bonding (form of insurance for the Homeowner, right?).

Thanks.

I thought Umbrella was too informal for a real term insurance. They use strange terms like "inland-marine".

I don't think that this will come to pass.

Just as well.

Guy was Rushy-McRush General Contractor without having details.

"I need a firm price on an eval for unknown trees in unknown locations with unknown criteria" is basically what he was saying.

He was going to want me to spec the trees that needed inspection, I think. Doesn't that sound like free basic evaluation of trees to tell you which ones should be more thoroughly inspected?

Anyone know the latest revision of requirements? I'm finding '2012, previous versions obsolete. '

Ya, just how do you have inland and marine as the only two parts of a phrase. Oxymoronic, no?

I used to drive highway 95 through Nevada, passing something to the effect of US Naval Submarine Training base. Even if you want to train on submarines in a lake, you're not floating anything from the ocean to the Great Basin.

I found out that an Endorsement is a fancy insurance term for change of policy, IIRC.

Guy was Rushy-McRush General Contractor without having details.

"I need a firm price on an eval for unknown trees in unknown locations with unknown criteria" is basically what he was saying.

Not reasonable, no way to defend yourself. I'd tell him I need a site visit with someone that knows the trees and has specs. Whoever is requiring they get a report should know or be able to converse with you to hash it out. Don't be afraid to ask them (offer specs to them in a question format) if they want this spec. If they agree, that's part of your report, "my assignment was to look at all trees over 55" DBH in the lawn area at so& so and identify which are dead".
Identifying your assignment will help you write reports without wondering what details you do and don't need. That has helped me so much.
Not sure what you're referring to 2012 about though...

Thanks for that good answer.

Sorry, meant to link this
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=4812-LRguide.pdf

"Davis-Bacon Labor Standards
A Contractor's Guide to Wage Requirements for Federally-Assisted Construction Projects"
How to properly pay employees while getting Kevin Bacon's federal dollars:lol:

It supercedes everything pre-2012, as stated on the cover page.

Someone in the thread mentioned classification changes. I wonder if there is a new guide. That guide doesnt say 2012-2013 or -2014, etc. Just trying to get current info.

In a nutshell...
The General Contractor is pest control company. A large fir fell on the VA grounds during recent wind. VA said Pest Man, can you get us an arborist evaluation.

Pest Man indicated that the trees to be assessed were those "near" buildings and walkways. I think its a 14 acre or something??? site.

My last email in a chain of a couple emails/ texts/ calls, in response to his email looking to schedule a time for an "orientation", and request for some examples of recent reports I'd written.

Hi Matt,

I'm available for an orientation on Saturday or Monday.

It will be necessary to have some criteria established as to the distance from the buildings and walkways (e.g. 100% tree height, 150% tree height).

This attached assessment is for Mountain Greens Mobile Home Park in Lacey, off Yelm Highway. I've worked with the MGMHP since 2007. Most ongoing evaluation has been with the property managers over the years. The owners needed a worst-of-the-worst-action-plan for this winter's work. We are about to mobilize equipment to start this project.

This evaluation was priced hourly, so they weren't needing everything polished, as it was basically an internal tool between the property managers and the owners.

I will be able to give you a firm price, with firm evaluation criteria.

I also sent another residential report for a home site development for hazard tree removal at a waterfront site for mature and over-mature maples that would be a big threat to a newly built house (of course, for maximum view and property value, they want to be as far forward as allowable).

I wasn't super-interested in this project. A lot of headaches and travel. The eval on its own would have been okay. Any pruning/ removal work probably works best on a M-F schedule, which I don't have.

Supposing I'm used to charging $75/ hour for an eval to homeowners/ commercial customers, what would be reasonable to charge for a PW contract as my hourly charge multiplier, so as not to be selling myself short.

A local city doesn't charge for site visits for their sub-contract ASCA consulting arborist for trees deemed hazardous during a Hazard Tree Removal Permitting Eval, but will charge $67/ hour if not deemed 'hazardous'. FWIW.

Obviously, you don't have a crystal ball, and markets vary, but any thoughts are helpful and appreciated.

I'd ask your bureau of labor, it changes regularly and often counties are different. It's Can of worms and hard to get a straight answer.

Back