Just a quick question from across the Pond.

Ian Harrison

TreeHouser
Hello to all on this forum.

As you can gather from the title I'm from the UK and I was wondering what some of you business owners would think. I am looking to relocate to the USA and was hoping to carry on in the tree industry.
Would any of you ever consider sponsoring someone to come over and work for you or would you never even think of it?

I'm not asking anyone to sponsor me I am just seeing what the general feeling of people are as I am seriously looking at trying to emigrate over to you.
Any reply is welcome even if it just is to tell me not a chance as this will not make me give up my dream.

Thanks in advance and I hope that you don't mind a Brit invading your forum.

Ian.

Welcome Ian, there's plenty of us on here. (Brits that is)
I'm pretty sure they're going ask you about qualifications and age so you might as well 'fess those up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well its good to know I'm not alone haha.
Qualification wise I have cs 30,31,38,39 wood chipper, stump grinder, utility arb tickets and am currently looking into the ISA arborist certification. Not that it's that well know over here. I have my Mewp ticket and health and safety qualifications. 7 years experience as a climber with 5 as a lead climber and am currently in charge of 3 teams. To name but a few things.

But as I said I'm hoping to get a feeling of how people would see it really.

Because I have had enough of the grey weather and nobody speaking English around me. But other than that the flat fens with the wind and rain give you a reason to get up in the mornings haha

To be honest I wouldn't say no but then again I am really not that bothered. The wife might have something to say about that but I'm sure I can talk her around

Another stinking Brit! :X

:D
I'd consider it if the timing is right, Mediterranean weather here. Got another treehouser coming to try out soon. If that doesn't pan out then maybe

I'd be off like a shot to the antipodes or the US if I was younger. I reckon that ISA qualification might be the best weapon in your armory.
Mistaben on here is a Brit and of course so is Reg.

Not to put it down but Aus/Nz has never really excited me as a thought and I know the wife wouldn't go there so. But I sometimes wish I had started this earlier but then the Army was a good job as well

Because I have had enough of the grey weather and nobody speaking English around me. But other than that the flat fens with the wind and rain give you a reason to get up in the mornings haha

What are they speaking if not English?

Welsh? I had to send something to DMM once and I had no idea what the heck the address was, ackyeckbluchwukagararian, I think ;)

The main languages I hear on a day to day basis is polish, russian and Lithuania. We have a lot of migrants here in my part of England.

We have a lot of migrants here in the USA, :) (it's pretty commonly thought of that we all are imagrants here.) You might as well join us.

Your skill set would make you welcome lots of places. Speaking with an accent often can open more doors than in closes among the right groups. Like with anything, the attitude you bring with it is key.

Thanks Merle I hope to join you all soon. It would be the first time my accent had helped believe me growing up neat London sort of gives you an accent most don't trust where I live. But as you say a positive attitude and a smile normally helps.

In eastern European circles, at least over here in Canada, from what I've been around, no matter the country or state, they always seem to go to Hungarian to fight or swear.

And funnily enough over here they only swear in English. I don't know why but I think it's just so people stay away while they get rowdy

Back