Redoing our website

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
We have been dropping in Google search results and we believe one reason is that our current site is not "mobile friendly". So we are in the process of redoing our site.... Actually my sister is in the process. She asked for examples of tree company websites that we think are good examples. So I was wondering if anyone has a website that they would be willing to share as mobile friendly? I am not looking to rip off any verbiage or specific design features, I just want some examples of nice pages. Hopefully someone here has some examples they are willing to share. Thanks in advance.

Do people search for you on phones?

There's a test page online, for Google. But it also says that a drop in rank for phone won't affect searches from computers. Just saw it a few days ago.

I only changed on page which was my redwood page. May do my home page, and possibly one other service page.

From what I gathered over the past few years, most people looking for landscape or pruning work like I do, are searching from home off their computer. But when it comes to my redwood forest content, there's quite a few phones referencing it.

I don't think Adwords is related in the same fashion. Google's Adwords' ads are paid placement. It should be different from the search results that are aside from the ads.

Yes I know, I was just using that an example as I don't have the Google Analytics to hand.

The stats for searches by device type are pretty similar regardless of whether they clicked on an Adword or an organic search result.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for the late reply.

I assume people are looking for us on their phones more and more. I assume this because I am using mine more and more.

We felt we needed an updated Web page for a whole and this is as good a time as any. My sister has been working on ours for a while now and I'm happy where it's going.

Peter, I like your site and I will be sending it to her to look at. I had a hard time finding other tree company sites that I liked. Thanks.

Just checked my site, 2 out of 10. Then compared my competitors, 0 or 1 out of 10. Guess I should see how to get to 5, I could rule locally!

Is this stuff an after thought for you guys??? Maybe I'm putting too much thought/effort into this.

We are starting the process of redoing our website and we will be making it mobile friendly. We know that many people around here are finding us via their phones. Over 50% of our clients use iPhones!

love
nick

Is this stuff an after thought for you guys??? Maybe I'm putting too much thought/effort into this.

Do you need to get a lot of random calls?

In my estimation, if you are largely a word-of-mouth company, internet advertising is over-rated. I'd much rather have a friend of a friend, than everyone shopping around.

Depends on your work load, compared to what you can handle.

Being small time, I don't have a lot of time to do a whole mess of bids. I don't even answer my phone. Random person not wanting to leave a message doesn't want me, they want someone. A person leaving a message is more likely to be a sale, than a tire-kicker.

If you want to expand, you need new public. If you are trying to keep steady with a solid work load, might be better to send out some marketing to past customers, and focus on Facebook publicity.

Different for a two man crew than a 5 man crew and secretary, et al.

Worth the price of the advice.
P.S., I live in a cave, too.

We look at current customers and their referrals as what keeps us in business. Random calls is what grows the business. Being small and responsible for everything, we don't want too many calls hut we can handle more than were getting. Getting more calls from the Internet search results should be relatively cheap and easy.

Makes a lot of sense.

I'm tired of dealing with "I want it now" people with Google.

Nextdoor.com is a good combo of the two, for me, in my market. Yesterday's day long hourly pruning job, plus a $150 tip, came from my customers recommending me on Nextdoor. Today's day-long mini-loader work, and another smaller mini-loader job came from there.

I pay for some internet marketing. Paying for marketing and SEO and blah blah blah puts me off. I don't know if I'll continue. Also, I stopped answering my phone. If they don't want me enough, and are patient enough to leave a message, I am okay with that. The telemarketing calls are driving me a bit bananas.

Caller ID is great for avoiding those telemarketing calls. Most of the day we don't answer any calls because we are out getting work done but we do return every single message by the end of the day. I know we miss out on work by not having an answering service or a secretary but I'm on with that.

Because LA is LA, many of our clients have legit out of state phone numbers. That means we have to answer every one of those stupid telemarketer calls even though I know they usually come from Denver and Philadelphia (right now. They go in waves)

love
nick

Saame here Nick. A lot of our work is on vacation homes or rental properties. Tons of out of the state or area phone numbers. I do have the luxury of the voice mail sort some of it

I need to get a phone answering service set up. They don't charge for answering telemarketer calls.

Looks really good.

I might choose ISA-Certified Arborist over ISA certified arborist.

You might mention ANSI A300 Professional Pruning Standard or whatever the right verbiage is. You have a link about professional pruning, but don't mention the actual standard. So many industry people don't even know it exists, and specifically mentions no spikes for pruning, and specs on pruning cuts, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. The pruning verbiage and links are on top of our list of things to change.

Sean, are you talking about capitalizing the Certified Arborist to give it more of a formal feel? I usually do that but didn't even notice it wasn't capitalized on our site.

Yes, Eric. Several places it is ISA certified arborist. Its a title of a credential. Possibly at the first/ most likely place for it to be seen write International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist.

I looked at the isa website, No hyphen.

People might better understand 'rope and harness' climbing techniques over 'rope and saddle'.

Spurless? Sell it.

Back