Employees Climbing Gear

sotc

Dormant hero!!
How do the companies you own or work for handle climbing gear? I always had to buy saddle and hardware, companies bought climbing lines and saws. In my company I provide everything and buy decent gear. Some of my guys don't like done of the gear and have brought their own but now want some compensation. I'm not looking for opinions, I just want to know what your companies do.

Well, here is a opinion regardless,
Coming from a employee who dreams of working for a company that provides all the required gear and PPE I would be a bit upset if the employees wanted compensations considering what you provided within the means of your company's profits. In short, make more money then there is more to go around in more then one way.

I do not offer anything when I hire for my side jobs, it opens the door to trouble around here, besides, I can't afford to accommodate, everyone brings equal shares to the plate in a effort to make money.

Where I used to work we were supplied the bare minimum. We were free to buy any additional gear we wanted but it was on us to pay for it. I felt that was fair.
If I were to hire someone on now, I would probably give them some type of equipment allowance so they are get whatever they want, whenever they want, but obviously anything over the allowance is on them.

Davy supplies everything, and all the gear that they supply, is stuff that no one in his right mind would ever consider using. :(

I think it's stretching it for the guys to buy their own gear and expect you to pay for it. Are they going to leave it with you when they move on? Seems to me you went above and beyond to buy the first set. I'd just tell them, "this is what I provide, if you want something different, buy it yourself and it belongs to you".

I buy nothing but nobody climbs except me.
The slaves get provided with gloves, eye & ear PPE, coffee & occasional grub, and hurt feelings reports.

I climb, so it's my gear. If I hired a climber tomorrow, I would inspect what he brought to the table. I would then make a list of what he needs to buy and offer to help, maybe 40%, purchase what I require. Now if this candidate already worked for me and I just payed for his EHAP training, then he'd be walking out the door for even thinking I'd buy his gear.;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:lol:
I'm looking to see what the "standard" is in the industry these days.

I buy the crew whatever gear and PPE they want. If they ask for it, I buy it. I truly believe that if a person is happy with their tools, they will do better work.

love
nick

I have a couple spare climbing set ups that I use with new hires and trainees. Once they get a handle on the gear and what everything does they eventually want their own set up with the different bells and whistles to suit there style. At that point I will split cost with them or buy the odd thing out right for them. Basically gear allowances/bonuses. It's all theirs to take when they leave. I provide all ropes and rigging etc.

I think it's the same as a contractor expecting a carpenter to have there own belt/hammer/helmut. Some tools are just personal to people and it should be owned by them.

The way the OSHA guy told us at a conference was the company is responsible for all safety gear which includes climbing gear. He also said that it doesn't have to be top of the line stuff. It just needs to meet the standards. My boss provides the basic 4-dee saddle,rope,caribiners,and lanyards. It doesn't
take long for new hires to decide climbing isn't for them or buy better gear. Same with the bucket harnesses. Basic fall arrest thingy.
I own all the climbing gear I use along with a lot of the rigging gear. He replaces things when they wear out. Our arrangement might not work for most but it's fine for us.
I personally think the basics are sufficient with a " tool allowance".

Provide your own. My climber uses company saws/rigging/etc. I provide handsaw blades, some basic expendables. I'm with MB, any pro climber should be able to outfit themselves as they see fit and just look at it as a cost of the trade. If a rope got cut by a dumb groundie, I'd be inclined to cough up for a new rope.

I provided all climbing gear for Erik, who did the most climbing of employees. I retained it. One short term climber provided all his climbing gear, by choice.

Nick, when you do that, is the gear theirs to take with them or does it belong to the co?

Each of our climbers has been with us for over a year. One guy was the first guy I ever hired and someone that was a friend before I started the company. They've given SO MUCH to my company. They routinely do jobs way faster than I think possible. They are phenomenal at not breaking things. We get boatloads of compliments from clients. And most importantly, they GET how I want our company to be and they represent what I would have done if I was at the job over looking their every move.

If one of them were to leave, it wouldn't be because they hate me or because someone offered them a $1/hr more. It would be a big deal and we'd know it's because they HAVE to do it. They'd probably hand the gear over on their last day and I'd laugh and tell them nobody wants their sweaty harness or dirty old ropes. It's theirs to keep.

love
nick

How do the companies you own or work for handle climbing gear? I always had to buy saddle and hardware, companies bought climbing lines and saws. In my company I provide everything and buy decent gear. Some of my guys don't like done of the gear and have brought their own but now want some compensation. I'm not looking for opinions, I just want to know what your companies do.

If you bought all the gear and they went out and bought different gear and want you to pay for it? No. Sorry guys but you didn't "NEED" new gear you chose to spend your own money. I supply all the PPE and a new hire has yet to even show interest in climbing, kids these days are pussies.

I buy the crew whatever gear and PPE they want. If they ask for it, I buy it. I truly believe that if a person is happy with their tools, they will do better work.

love
nick

Nick said, "If they ask for it, I buy it." - then why did I send you one of my Rope Runners? All Tommy had to do was ask, and you'd have bought it, eh? I'm just kidding; - I did it for the same reason I gave a five-climber crew two of mine to use for a week... they'll all run out and buy them after trying them...

By the way, can I work for you? I only need a few items of gear, boss: a Chevy Bolt (200 mile range on electric - seriously?!?!?) to commute to work, a GRCS, and a 14" orchard ladder... ;)

Okay, silliness over; back to filling out forms; -got a valid offer on my parents' house!
Love,
Pat

I run the same way as Nick.
We buy everything. If they want to experience with new stuff, fine.
We'll buy that for them as well.
It all benefits the company in the long run IMO.

I worked for a company once that bought you your gear... But....
Your last two weeks pay was held basically. IF you left them before a full year, the equipment came out of your last check.
After they bought you a basic kit, if you upgraded, it was on you.
New guy starts with a Weaver sliding D or a Cougar.

I start out new guys logging with an axe and a whipsaw.
Then after a year, if they haven't quit, they get to use an old chainsaw, but we put the chain on backwards.

We are extremely picky about who we hire.
3 month trial, but once they pass that there is no difference between their gear and ours.

ONe of the large line clearance companies I worked for supplied the bare minimum, and did not allow us to bring and use our own equipment (not that we didn't). I got wrote up once for using a climb line not issued by the company.

Another would let us use our own gear, but it was made clear they weren't responsible if it came up missing or got damaged. We were not compensated for it.

I would allow some one experienced to use their own climbing gear if they wanted for their own comfort/familiarity/confidence providing it was in excellent shape, and within retirement specs. I will not take responsibility for their equipment and won't compensate them for it's use as I can provide it for them and replace it when needed.

Back