handsaws for groundies?

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
How many groundies use a handsaw on a belt rather than carry a chainsaw into the drop zone, then back out, then come back to drag.

So often, the groundies wants to cut, then drag, then come back to the drop for the saw (which is in the climber's way).

I have a large silky that works for some smaller limbs. No chaps.no potential $1000 or $2000 fine for no leg pro on groundies with a saw. No chaps, cooler, more dragging.

My groundies have them for brushing and other ground work. I remind them they are sharp and can do harm. I often set an example with mine at the chipper. Some yes faster than starting up the saw. Look ma, no oil on the driveway. There are also loppers at the chipper

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Big Fiskars loppers do a lot, and are much cheaper/ more durable if accidently left in the dropzone, plus easily hung in a tree or bush.

I've had guys use axes etc but only if they're unable or unwilling to use a chainsaw.
Silkys used in haste on the ground is a blood transfusion waiting to happen.
Its finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist imo.

Would the arbor trolley work to be able to drag the whole branch out of the drop zone? Leave the chainsaw in one comfortable-to-work spot, always out of harms way? Doing this would save the groundies all of those extra trips, plus give you the maximum amount of time with a clear drop zone. Maybe the branches in question are too big, though. Just a thought.

Tim

In an ideal world the chipper is as close as possible to the tree, but far enough away so it's safe for the groundsmen to operate at the chipper without worrying about having their heads caved in.
I would say that dropping branches on top of branches is counter productive, wait until they've cleared the branch up with a chainsaw (cos it's quicker) then drop the next. Or drop a load on top of each other and stop work up the tree, using the "hands on your head" sign signifying it's safe under there. If they've left the saw under there, point to it angrily until they move it.

Our groundies are all issued a 361/362 and zubat but there's also a lot of cross training going on. Always a saw tho for what u describe

My groundies are loggers.
Running a chainsaw is second nature to them, they'd laugh if I suggested handsaws.

Groundies stack brush for the mini, not cutting until it's by the chipper if needed and running a rake.

We don't have a chipper and usually work on big properties where people come behind us to clean up, or we chuck stuff in the ute to take to their burn pile.
My hubby groundie hates wearing chaps so he goes at it with a handsaw and loppers for most stuff, given the size it's usually sufficient and efficient.
He'll pull bigger stuff to the side and I'll zip it through with the saw when I get down (and we take it home for firewood), or if there is a fair bit he'll get the chaps and saw out if he has to.

Makes for a quiet day too.

So agree on quiet!
It has suited my wife as ground man for a few years now, as she will not run a chain saw
Also much less sharpening with the forks that won't fit through the chipper being backed out always inevitably wind up near the feed tray table.

Sometimes I call myself the stealth tree surgeon...I've turned up to work, done all the pruning with handsaws, groundie using handsaw and loppers, come down to clear up, the HO comes out and says 'wow I didn't even hear you out there'...pays to have them see the big pile of brush to prove you've done any work though!

Jen loved this work , strong and developed an awesome eye. So she feared the chainsaw... Not a problem. Any big cuts I could do as eventually I was coming down anyways.

Back