New to the Biz questions

woodslinger

TreeHouser
I've been adding tree removal to my mowing service and its been going well so far, working a bit here and there and adding equip very slowly. As I get more work coming my way I realize more things that I don't know, such as. .
When is the best time to prune trees and how is it best done? I am under the impression that it is better to wait till late spring when the leaves are on, or anytime in fall and early winter. I was cautioned against pruning right now as the sap is starting to push for spring growth, any truth to that?
Also I need to rent a chipper for an upcoming job and was recommended to a particular rental co who has a fantastic 12" chipper, which is too big for my 4runner so I am borrowing a 350 for that job. My question being: as I buy equipment, that size chipper is out of my budget for quite a while, is it worth buying a smaller chipper for a while? There is one on CL locally for 3k, looks like maybe a 6", but it might be smaller.
Also what size truck to you guys recommend for being able to pull the larger chippers? I was looking for a 1500, but I am currently tossing around the idea of getting a 2500 or 3500, not sure between gas or diesel, looking at some with utility beds (lots of tool boxes for gear and saws), Is the center opening large enough to be useful for chips if I build up the sides?
I promise this is the last one, maybe, I need to add at least one good rigging line to my setup. I am climbing on rock climbing rope (10.2mm I think), and I have a retired "rescue line" that i am using for rigging (it was free), which is thinner than my climbing line. What would you recommend is most versatile, and least likely to leave me with a situation where I do not have enough rope to get the job done. I have not done any huge "blocking down" removals and do not see it as very likely in the near future, but you never know what might come your way. I am planning on buying a few x-ring slings along with the rigging line to save some money and be properly set up to do the job safely.

Thank you in advance for your help, I am always impressed by the support and helpfulness here.

Forget all the equipment worries and considerations for a moment. Order a book by Jerry B called The Fundamentals of General Tree Work. Read it, twice. That's going to give you answers to questions you have, will have, and don't even know you have.

My recommendation is to get more familiar with the work and the practices. At that point, you may hate it, or love it. Then, consider investing into the industry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is on my reading list. I have "the tree climbers companion" in my gear bag, I'm going to order The fundamentals of tree work. I was planning to put that on my next treestuff order with a rigging line

...Ger's Book ... Of course !!!!!! ..... Big picture is a small chipper , decent truck , climb line and saddle plus one rig line can actually get a lot done...just got do it right. Take the time , smaller pieces and learn. Then buy Bucket , Crane , 20" Chipper , etc.

Back