Setting up a new shop/yard

NickfromWI

King of Splices
We are in the process of looking for a bigger place to be our HQ. As we started looking, I realized I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for...though I know it's gonna be expensive! #losangeles :O

So I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys like and don't like?

Right now I think I'm just looking for the biggest lot I can afford with a tall sturdy iron fence around it. We will build the largest shed we can afford and maybe a big shade structure to park under.

We just looked at a dumpy lot not far from our current home but it was just dirt, not paved or gravel, no fence, most of the lot was a huge hillside, so really we woulda just ended up with a 40x50 ft area to use. That would honestly be big enough...if that's all we can find. But I feel like I can do better.

What's your setup? What do you wish you had?

love
nick

If I had all my equipment in L.A. I think I'd look for a small, secure warehouse. Park inside. I'd be afraid of someone robbing the shop at night if it was all out of doors

Yep. Over time, seems like it will happen if parked outside, unless its a good neighborhood and very out of sight.

It would be sweet to see some sort of door that could close the rear of a solid dump bed, and be locked. Usually there is just the bottom door. I would think that an upper door with a side pair of hinges as normal, and a center pair of hinges (allows you to open door with chipper in place, with a pair of hasps at the other side would do the trick. The lower door is meant for chip/ wood loads pushing out on it. Top door would keep gear locked while in the store, in the yard, on a jobsite.

Will it be any material storage or just equipment parking?

I think that if you can make a circle drive to avoid backing the trucks in, with areas to back up to or load out the side of the truck would be nice. Backing in all the time at the end of a long day in the winter rain here is getting old. Good lighting. Cameras in LA. a doctor client told me about vuezone.com. He was a bit paranoid. Sends a notification to his phone when a sensor is tripped, and the camera activated.

If you have a manual truck, I'd build a slight downhill for backing the chipper and truck into the designated parking spot. You can keep the truck in neutral and use gravity to slowly easy your hitch into the right spot. Same with trailer spots. If you have an automatic, it doesn't matter.

You can buy a shipping container for a couple thousand dollars depending on size. Solid and lockable. Relatively easy to modify. Add windows with bars.

I like that idea Sean, wouldn't be too hard to build an upper door that folded up from the bottom door and pinned in place at the top

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the past 3 years we have parked on the streets in what most would call the wrong side of the tracks. Never had an issue- but I know we're pushing our luck. Security will be a priority. Cameras are being considered.

We might have a mulch and firewood pile if we can swing it.

We're already looking at shipping containers. We found a local company that will install roll up garage doors, vents, windows lights etc.

Right now we keep our big chainsaws, the AirSpade, fertilizer, cables, trunk injection supplies and a bunch of other crap in my 2 car garage (along with 2 cars, personal home stuff and all my woodworking stuff) so needless to say, the garage is bursting at the seams.

love
nick

Don't forget the Constantine wire.

razor-wire-palisade-fence.jpg

Sucks loading and unloading gear every stinking day! We used to do that

I have a 45 foot shipping container and I love it! It is easy to build shelves, although I have not needed to yet. That is a lot of damn space in one of those things.

Sometimes an old dry van trailer can be found for less than a shipping container.

Luckily we don't have to load gear daily. We have 4 chainsaws on the truck along with all climbing, rigging and cleanup gear and ladders, arbor trolley...that's good enough 80% of the time.

If I have to install a fence I bet it's gonna be like this-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418188083.445801.jpg

But I don't like that someone can get in with just wire cutters. This looks more elegant and is a bit more resilient...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418188137.202703.jpg

I'm hoping we don't have to build a fence or pay to pave....but I have a feeling I'm gonna be doling out some cash in exchange for a lower rent.

love
nick

If you are thinking to put in cameras, I'd talk with the local police to get clear about how far recorded evidence will have them wanting to pursue a break in theft matter and make an arrest if possible, and you being able to claim your stolen property. You don't want to have your stuff taken and all you get left with is some nice video that has you wishing if only you'd been there, while the police don't do jack all to go after the a-holes. Based on experience....

I bought an electric engraver on sale at Harbor Freight for under ten bucks on sale. Now, to mark everything.

We are in the process of looking for a bigger place to be our HQ. As we started looking, I realized I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for...though I know it's gonna be expensive! #losangeles :O

So I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys like and don't like?

Right now I think I'm just looking for the biggest lot I can afford with a tall sturdy iron fence around it. We will build the largest shed we can afford and maybe a big shade structure to park under.

We just looked at a dumpy lot not far from our current home but it was just dirt, not paved or gravel, no fence, most of the lot was a huge hillside, so really we woulda just ended up with a 40x50 ft area to use. That would honestly be big enough...if that's all we can find. But I feel like I can do better.

What's your setup? What do you wish you had?

love
nick

I am in this very same boat the wife and I just closed on a house with 3.2 acres so I am going to dedicate an acre to the wood lot, shed 48x80', and a 50x70' parking area. And zipline.

Maybe I can just install an outdoor shooting range so that people will associate the property with sharp shooters!

Shot, killed and have their teeny weenies pulled off.

You should see the historical buildings here, vandalized by those swine.

Back