Ways to Advertise.

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
Hello, have been working on / off for myself after i got out of a bad partnership.. Due to a recent change in full time caraers and an engagement I am forced to try and make ends meet with weekend tree work. I work full time at a tree farm but it just pays the bills. I have got my truck lettered, have a website, fb group but looking for cheap/ effective ideas to advertise that work. Word of mouth doesn't get me to far yet.

Go through the phone book and cold call companies that may refer/sub your services. Flip through the yellow pages front to back and call and introduce yourself to any company that you think could possibly be interested in talking to you.

I agree with Sawman, 90% of the work I get comes from word-of-mouth.

Carry your own insurance, ISA cert can bring in business and up the ante a bit, talk to local property managers and real estate brokers. Sometimes, in my limited experience anyways, the big-iron tree service companies wont come out for $500 worth of clearance work. . . Be willing to travel and bid it up.

Insurance is a big one, usually the first thing people ask.

Write up a nice service proposal and go to any business you think might need your services: golf courses, cities, parks, campgrounds, consulting firms, condos, etc. Try to meet the person that is in charge and hand them the letter while presenting yourself, sell yourself a bit. This has gotten me many good contacts. One golf course manager told me he hired me just because I had the balls to show up in person, that is a quote.

Also, I bought a old trailer for 200$ and made a huge towable billboard that I can park in various places when things get slow. Frame is made out of wood and I traded work for the printing on coroplast sheets.

Insurance agents, hardware stores, saw shop, bulletin boards, google places, face book page for the business, shake hands, word of mouth.
All free and the yields are awesome. Make sure you shake some landscapers hands as well with a fist full of cards.
Signage on truck and insurance for certain.
You will not find me in the phone book unless I am more urban. Rural maybe later when I have more iron.

Want any feedback on your current advertising? Post website address and picture of lettering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
e10f7b9d153bc549ca027b890512f3a0.jpg
b907a3f4c2b3257d40bfcb7ce26200be.jpg
Website needs to be finished

Good signage. Taking advantage of good parking opportunities pays off. That looks really good. It's distinctive. It's good when you pull up to a bid and the property owner recognizes you rig from around town.

Vistaprint has cheap banners, or another marketing company. A strung up banner out front advertises the work you are actually doing, where you are, when your truck is away from the road. It stays overnight on multiple day jobs (at night when neighbors are coming home. Useful for community events, and if you sponsor at an event. We have a cooperative preschool (parent run non profit) with a fundraiser each year. I donate consultations for the silent auction and I get my banner up at the benefit dinner. I donate my time for the consults and some fuel to get there, but otherwise, doesn't cost me money.

I notched and dropped 3 trees in a wide open lot for this. He did the whole tailgate and the DOT numbers on the doors as well. Plus will do can doors on a pickup whenever I send it in.

The gap in the web address isn't actually there. The picture is one he texted me while the truck was in progress.

Back