Jobs you're glad you didn't get !!!

802climber

TreeHouser
I'll start. Bid this one for removal last Halloween! The big one. They said someone would do it for half my price, but lo and behold the tree is still there!

cemetery bid.jpg

A huge rotten cottonwood by the airport in MKE I shot the moon and put something like 7g's on it. No idea if it got done or not but she was a punky sucker!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I lived in WI my boss did a huge cottonwood for $10K and made no profit.

Oh yeah! Tight quarters to boot and tree hugging protesters, 40 square miles of utopia surrounded by reality.

Jobs you don't want come up often enough, I try to price them high enough such that if in the unlikely event I get the job, it will be worth it, and I'll "want" it.

What the man above me said. Shoot way high so the job goes from crap to gold in the of chance you get it. There's jobs I hope I don't get. And, I usually don't get them.

That graveyard tree would have been a nightmare job.:shaking:

I'm pretty sure I got out of this one by now, it was this time last year as well. Just cleaned up one fallen branch, that was enough. Still a few hanging up there.

Train line at the back, no access and a little 2' gate to get out and down to the road. Red Mahogany, really nice timber for woodwork and good firewood.

PA120038.jpg PA120035.jpg PA120040.jpg

Lotta tree to move through a little gate.
Been a few this last year I did not get.
That 6 tree pondo TD comes to mind. I was ready to give him a price so I could a) crane all lowered logs up over the car port or b) Helo log it.
All crispy dead and the only crane we could even get into it from our area was a 15-17 ton unit. Not enough reach to do but only 2 of 6 trees.
All up against structures on a hill with access like you see Deva deal with in San Fran.
I really was not looking forward to being stuck on the side of them for a week. Never went back to see if someone decided they could do it cheaper and have all the material moved out from the middle of nowhere. Bet the little bridge everything had to run across will only hold about 14K.... maybe....
Been a couple like that this year...

'Bout 30 years ago I applied for the job of bouncer at a local concert.
Didn't get the job, which was fortunate, cause a local chapter of Hells Agels showed up and tore the place down, more or less.

hahah...that "40 square miles of utopia surrounded by reality." caught my funny bone, too.

Stig....that could have been a helluva story!! Probably best you missed that one, bro.

Just my luck tonight got a go ahead on a put on ground only removal 2 yrs dead. Did get to bump it up as my quote was expired by a year :rolleyes:
Have to break out the bucket truck for a safeguard tie in.
I was happy I didn't get it last year:p

'Bout 30 years ago I applied for the job of bouncer at a local concert.
Didn't get the job, which was fortunate, cause a local chapter of Hells Agels showed up and tore the place down, more or less.

I feel confident that you could have taken care of the situation, Stig. Tenderized but not bruised, too badly.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I would have been badly hurt or killed.
No-one can go up against a gang of bikers alone and unarmed and come out on top.
That only happens in movies.
The guy who got the job took off when things got rough and let the cops take over.
I don't think I would have been that smart, back then.

with this hurricane work my mate with the 40` bucket truck went to look at a leaing 80` norfolk pine, would have needed me to climb and section the top. I said I wouldn`t set foot in it for less than $500, the HO went all `give me a deal man`...i`m poor. My mate walked away and told him to get someone else...no room to get a bigger lift or a crane in either.
I was glad, even if the guy had said to go ahead, with that attitude the chances of getting paid were not good!

I love when they badger me for a good deal. Usually they own twice the luxuries I ever will. But somehow I owe them a discount.

That's how some people got their money. Being cheap all through their lives at the sacrifice of others.

I was offered a job to top some redwoods so they would fit into the confines of an existing property line. Big ones. The property owner stood to make big bucks. Near a hundred thousand in log price to be exact. They tried to chisel me down to $200 to do it. Which I could do in a few hours. They thought that was reasonable for a common laborer. I told them, "You may find someone that can do it for that price, but I can do it better than anyone else, and I can do it right now." I got the job on my terms, which was a fat bit better than theirs. In the end everyone was happy.

Back