Snow plowing

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
A show of hands. Who does it? Res or com? Is it worth it? Do you salt and stockpile ahead of time?

Yes it is worth it under the right circumstances, even though the prices are awful because of the amount of competition. To make it worthwhile I keep the radius for who we will work for extremely small. Salting is an itemized option. That way there is very little wasted time between stops. We only do light commercial and residential, I would like to do larger commercial one day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A local plow shop does a choice of 8 foot reconditioned Meyer or western plows with a one year warranty and complete installation, ready to push snow for $2400. Reputable joint too. Very reputable. I guess I'll put a plow on a truck and see if I can drum up some driveways.

That is a fair price Chris, with installation and all. Make sure they change the ATF in the pump and put some dielectric grease on the plugs.

They dont call it white gold for nothing.

Guy I am buying my new plow set up from his old set up to him. Took care of 65 drives. Landscaper during warm weather and snow plower during cold.

Me I just want to keep my 700' lane open and help neighbors when needed.

You should flush system and put oem quality plow maker fluids back in every season. I get away with S.A.M aka buyers fluids in my meyer set up. I am going with boss plow this time as it reminds me more of my old northman plow set up I really really liked.

Reason I say this you will end up with a freaking frozen pump at the worst time. If you dont do it.

Once my deal is done I will be selling my small meyer set up complete cheap or keep for back ups. Frame on truck is toast.

This is what I am going with next.

View attachment 57684

attachment.php

He assured me all pumps were rebuilt, regardless of estimate of usage. He freshens everything up. Hard not to replace the fluid when you rebuild a pump, so until he and I speak again, I'll safely assume the fluids are fresh when a unit goes out the door. Ive done a TON of plowing in my life but only one year for myself in business and that was my second year or so in business. Didn't make any money because I didn't have enough driveways. I had an old, but sweet, plow truck at the time.

To learn about plows I recommend Plowsite. http://www.plowsite.com/ Wealth of knowledge and help when working on your own stuff like me. Hate all the AS type freaking ads butttttt.

Plowing is a major money maker, but it is hard on the trucks, liability is HUGE, the hours are horrendous, and it's cold.
I only plow for my family and myself. I would much rather make money removing trees than pushing snow with my gear.

Aint that the truth. I have extra motors, valves, solenoids, lift arms, etc etc on hand for the meyer.

All I have to deal with is 600 feet of driveway .1962 CJ5 Jeep,1951`Ferguson tractor .Last resort is a 1954 Oliver OC 6 bulldozer .One of them should run I would certainly think so .All else fails I'll just sit in the house and watch the snow I guess .

Few driveways with boxer and modded plow here.......otherwise I take kids sledding.

Trucks break eh? Ive been in 2 accidents plowing, ripped plows off trucks, twisted plow frames, overheated trannys, etc.......

Point being, Ive plowed LOTS of snow since I was 16, but never for myself where I could weight out cost of operation vs profit. Then weighed it against the fact that its winter income during the slow season. I know the ins and outs of plowing. Spent many nights hopping back and forth from a mig welder to a parking lot. 3 days straight with no sleep, the whole none yards. The liability factor is on my mind and if I will upgrade my commercial auto to include plowing.

Plow every year. Would never get our tree equipment out in the winter for any reason. So, we plow. The hours suck but it sure beats winter tree work. And it pays the bills which is nice. Hard on equipment as everyone knows.

Plowing is about the only thing to do around here in the winter. Boss power V with a Chevy behind it is hard to beat (and a working radio) 8)

I plow commercial and stratas only. Two Trucks with v plows. I also spread salted sand. There's good money in it around here.

We do our own plowing and sometimes plow for an oil field next door. We will plow out neighbors for nothing, especially elderly neighbors. The oil company gets charged!

We will use a D8, a Champ 740 road patrol, a Cat wheel loader and farm tractors.

!

We will use a D8, a Champ 740 road patrol, a Cat wheel loader and farm tractors.
Well one thing's for certain with a D8 Cat you wouldn't run out of power .Problem being that big ole boy wouldn't know the difference from snow to asphault if you sunk the blade too deep .---black snow oops .

Are you all getting hammered on the cost of a plowing leg on your general liability insurance? My gen liability won't attach a leg for plowing and a separate policy is going to be $7500. I'm not paying that much. Nooooo way.

Back