Commercial Vehicle Insurance, Vinyl Installer & others.

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
Looking for a good commercial vehicle insurance company in Ontario, along with roughly what you guys pay per year. We have had arbor guard for our tree insurance but havent got quote back for commercial vehicle. Also looking for a vinyl designer/ installer in ontario, also possibly better liability insurance maybe beside arbor guard. Sorry kinda a loaded question.

A Huge sign on your truck (vinyl on a backing sheet allows transfer or removal for painting) is great money to spend. Big letters, as high as you can on the truck. Be seen over traffic and parked cars!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our bucket will be getting big signs with big letters, my pickup however will be getting little decals on the lower doors, there but not super invasive

by not super invasive, you mean most people will not see them and you will be the anonymous tree service? Do as you like. Won't your pick up be running more
around, and the first impression at new bids?

A guy I know just spent 15K on a specialty box for his f550 4x4. I can't read the $40 sign on his truck from 15'.

With my very good distance eye-sight, I can pretty easily read MY OWN 6" tall website lettering on my pick-up. I wish I had gone at least 9" if not 12". Might just be me.

I had my number on my truck for about 25 years = tons of calls for bids but not jobs. Never got one that I recall where they called because of the sign on my truck.

When they stop and ask for a card & we talk a bit = I probably get the job.

Just the way it seems to work for me...I let my work do my advertising.

I had my number on my truck for about 25 years = tons of calls for bids but not jobs. Never got one that I recall where they called because of the sign on my truck.

When they stop and ask for a card & we talk a bit = I probably get the job.

Just the way it seems to work for me...I let my work do my advertising.

:thumbup: Quality work and word of mouth. I also get a lot of work when a customer's neighbors hear the saws running and come out to watch us work. A running chainsaw is like a siren, folks want to see what's going on, then they remember that tree in their yard..

I don't like large signage, I think it's tacky. Not saying it should be incredibly small, but there is a sweet spot. I am with Dave, let the work do the talking, I don't need more shoppers calling.

Points well made.

An important part, that I'm largely mentioning to Colin, is that pre-screening your customers on the phone is an important part of the initial contact. I get lots of work from my signs, with good customers. Treehumper on the Buzz always has given sound business advice, such as the important of pre-screening your customers. The guy that called me last week for a removal, tomorrow if possible, didn't even get a call back. He was all too likely to be an "all-call", get as many desperate people as possible to bid it.

I see it as the work speaks for itself, and the sign gives people the contact info. My web address is most visible. The idea, in this area, of having a multi-page website (I've got about 10-12 linked pages), probably means I'm not the cheapest guy in town, right off the bat.

If it was looking to drop $500-2000, a typical contract range, more on the lower end on average, I'd watch a contractor at the neighbors, see how it all goes, and then call, IF I didn't have the time, or the crew doesn't have the time to talk.

I figure some of the neighbors discuss things with their partners, then call, others see it as not a rag-tag magnetic sign on the truck or anonymous tree service (are they insured, they surely don't want people knowing their names and contact info?). Others have the time to stop and talk, or too much time to stop and talk.

I'd rather have them call me, there on the job, and answer with my Sena system, and tell them to stop by later, or I'll be out of the tree to talk to them in 30-60 minutes.

I'll take it all.

FWIW.

Chip truck services list, about 6" tall.

Truck door lettering, ~2.5" tall

If you can't afford all the vinyl or signs with vinyl, you can have the design done, and leave yourself space to add-in. Now that I have a contractor's canopy on my pick-up, I have a lot of sign space that I'm needing to exploit. The entire rear of the truck, and everything above the bed is blank, ATM. I just haven't gotten to that project yet.

I've gotten at least three jobs just from being in Home Depot parking lot, alone, with personal contact in the lot.

Go look at signs in traffic and parking lots, see what you like, then examine up close for sizing, etc.

What does signage cost roughly? All my trucks have painted signage and I've been thinking ofputting vinyl

Back