Thinking about Florida move

menchhofer

TreeHouser
Wife wants to move to warmer climate. I am concerned about the different marketing, wages, from the midwest to Florida. Would I be looking at a market in the warmer state swamped with tree services and a limited market? Or will everything be about the same, just a different area?

Not interested in Arizona? I know nothing about the Florida economy and competition between tree co.s, but the population vs. here would make me crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Inland Florida has many species of ash, oak and maple trees. Not just palm trees. Wife can travel to beach :). Just wondering if basic pricing per man hour is the same as the midwest.

Are you a Certified Arborist? I am not sure on the price per hour on the mainland, you might hook up with Brian on Facebook. Also, go to the yellow pages on line and see what the "tree services" pages have in terms of companies. I know in Miami Dade and Broward Counties there are so many companies it would make your head spin. They work cheap because there are so many of them.
Where I live, in the Keys, your biggest problem is going to be qualified help. Most of our guys spend a total of 5 hours a day on a bus coming and going to work.

WOOOW. I thought some people 3-4 hour a day commute to Seattle was crazy. At least they are on a bus, not driving. How long is the shift compared to the commute?

8 hours.

If there is a wreck on the road (one road in and same road out) they could be tied up for hours. Last week they left here at 6 and did not get home till 11pm. All but one guy made it back the next day Got to give them kudos for that.

V, you mean one of your guys stayed home the next day because he didn't get back until 11? Unless he was dizzy or something, I can't quite picture it, to be honest. Working until 11 isn't anything, just as long as it isn't regular. My take anyhow. Not saying you shouldn't be appreciative.

How are you ever going to make a hundred hour week? :lol: Past eleven in the shop zillions of times, but I confess I'm not a rich man.

How did you make out at the track, V?

Have you looked at other states? The whole southern half of the east coast or either coast for that matter is warmer than here.

I honestly don't need the competition, but maybe give Cape Cod a look. 2-3 months of winter, plenty of sun and sand and seasonal so the population varies. Plenty of money here as well as diseased and dying trees. You could even leave your lift with me until you need it.:lol:

I am inland hr and a half to either coast. My move was for the warmth and water. We have big trees. The money varies with where the work is even in a 20 mile change or development. Incoming pm let's chat.

V, you mean one of your guys stayed home the next day because he didn't get back until 11? Unless he was dizzy or something, I can't quite picture it, to be honest. Working until 11 isn't anything, just as long as it isn't regular. My take anyhow. Not saying you shouldn't be appreciative.

Well, figure he had been up at 4am to catch the bus, worked his butt all day (climber) then got on the bus to go home, arriving at 11pm. He needed the rest. I would rather him not come than come and not be on top of his game.

Jay, blew my remaining budget on the last race. So, a fun day, bucket list day and did not go over budget!

Back