Search / Google Ranking and Google +

mdvaden

Treehouser
Was chatting with our older son two days ago about website rankings. He builds sites but doesn't tweak for rankings really. Just builds and does code.

We were chatting about how Google evolved.

Used to be that "Content was King" and there was emphasis on inbound links from other sites before. But best I can see, content can't be king anymore, because some of the biggest content sites don't place where they should.

Our son said that there's an evolution in rankings that incorporates social networking stuff. And in a way, it may be getting so interwoven or complicated as to become confusing.

Anyway, I've skipped SEO stuff for over a year, due to getting fed up with it for a while. But I decided to try the Google+ option our son mentioned as one possible tweak. So I opted to add the button to my home page, redwood page, and certified arborist page.

As the tally goes upward, I'm going to keep an eye on whether my site or pages nudge up any higher and share with other folks whether its hype, or something to it.

If any of you have at least found my tree photos or redwood stuff of interest, feel free to tap the home page and and redwood page Google PLUS buttons. And if it works, it works. If not, I should know within about 2 months.

It's not the only way to Google + ... but adding the button is one way. Maybe a few of you may want to add it to your sites too and see if you get any noticeable results.

I am constantly getting annoying phone calls from people "guaranteeing" top google placement. I don't give a flying fig newton since I have more than I can do so I tell 'em so.

Justin, you're going about it all wrong. When they call saying they are SEO experts and can get you top google placement, politely ask for their company name and see what their placement is when searching for SEO service providers, etc. That usually shuts them up. I'm surprised how many of these website SEO "experts" don't have their own website. Really, you are so good at tweaking sites that you can't even slap up a Wordpress page. Awesome.

Expert -

An "ex" is something that was and a "spurt" is just a drip under pressure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am constantly getting annoying phone calls from people "guaranteeing" top google placement. I don't give a flying fig newton since I have more than I can do so I tell 'em so.

I get calls from those folks about once every 2 weeks. They say I'm not ranking on the first page for like "landscaping" ...

So I ask them right off what else I do for a living. And they can't answer that I do drainage, photography, networking in redwood country, etc.. So I mention next that they called me blind as a bat thinking they can help me, when they haven't even read part of my website to know who they are talking too.

It would be annoying if I let it get under my skin. So I've just made it a game to see how firmly they can be confronted about lack of preparation.

I got tired of the “google” calls and finally asked when told they could get me a no. one placement. They said they could keep me at no. one in my area for as long as I paid x dollars per month (like 350).

Similar deal with yelp accept I seemed to be only getting calls from yelp reps proper.

Back