Incentives?

atw

TreeHouser
What do other owners out there do to reward there employees?
I just held our yearly company dinner at a steak house. I have two employees, one groundie who is learning and a climber who does pretty good. I gave the groundie a $400 cash bonus and my climber a $800 cash bonus. I also had a part timer climber who I sometimes use, come to the dinner and gave him a $100 cash. Is this normal? I just remember working for others and always felt appreciated more when stuff like this would happen, but am wondering what others do to encourage their employees?

The last time I had an employee I bought him a Wilton bench vise. It should last him his entire life, the way mine has lasted me.

Our present apprentice has been a joy to have.
Always willing to go the extra mile.
Last year we had a major job at a school, which had to be done during the easter holidays, when no kids wre there.
Before we even asked, he said that he didn't have any plans for easter, so he'd be cool with working and just swapping the days for some free time. No overtime payment.
Stuff like that.
Needless to say, we have already hired him, so when he graduates in march, he stays with us.To celebrate the end of his apprenticeship, we invited him on a Redwood climb in California next summer, with everything paid.

We always do some sort of summer outing, that is fun, but work related. Camping trip in the treetops or as in this year a trade fair in another country.
(Last year we were going to ride the Nürburgring with Sabine Schmidz, guess it is a bit of a stretch to call that work related ( She stopped working the BMW thing, so it fell through)

Apart from that, we usually gives something for xmas, in the $250 range.

I read a study last year, that stated that the most important thing for employees, next to a decent wage, is to feel appreciated.

You sound like a good Boss Stig. And Sabine is lovely:|:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5KiC03_wVjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I was more interesting in the way she can drift that M5 squeeling around the track than in her loveliness.
But you're right as usual.

Countless times:lol:

She did it to show Jeremy Clarkson up, because he was so pleased at having done a 9,something lap in a diesel Jag.

" I can do better than that in a van" said with her wonderful German accent.

One of the epic Top Gear episodes, that.

I don't have any employees but I do have a regular sub and I will buy him some gear if I make a killing off of his labor. Some times a Silky blade or a chain or two even a climb line.

That's nice to do and u can write it off. My father in law will give bonuses but also gives his guys gas cards throughout the year as well

I think people are the most important part of any business, even if you are machinery focused. Taking care of good employees might cost in the short but it pays in the long. Making people feel like they are a part of something is huge. You can't buy loyalty, but you can make layaway payments on it! :)

Erik is my main man. A few groundies that float in on occasion, and during the summer. I flip him a $50 or $100 bill now and again, try to give him $100-200 before he goes on a long trip (like saying, Go Enjoy, you've earned it), and couple hundred at Christmas. He gets to use my work pick-up like a company car, and when he needs it personally (he blew up his engine a couple months ago and hasn't replaced it yet) he just puts some gas in it (or lend him my car).

Next year, I'm wanting to pick up some basic ??gov't?? health insurance for him, which he can add onto if he wants, and a 401k match.

A lot of Thanks for the Good Work at the end of the day.

As said, people need to feel appreciated.

I have a really good guy working for me right now who is willing and able to help me with trees as well as with Ropetek. Both co.s did well this year. He got a $1200 bonus. Im a communist at heart.

Taking care of employee's is so important. I used to work for a company that I loved, and could see myself making a career out of being there. I made them a lot of money and they would talk about appreciation but rarely show it. I'm not all about money but for god sake you gotta pay someone enough to pay their bills. and in this line of work if your good at what you do you shouldn't have to worry so much about money.

I had a competitor back in the UK who did pretty well for himself, I took a groundy on who had worked for him before,
He told me a story about how after a few months he asked for a rise, the response "you have to realise I could go to the school gates and get three or four just like you so.....no" (I had to laugh!)
To be fair, I had to sack him after a bit, dope smoking, moody, always on the phone.
Anyway, good blokes who are rarely sick and don't need a day off 'cos it's their hamsters birthday, sure a bit here and there, half days, free firewood etc.
Respect has to be earnt.

Back