Purchasing land

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
So we've been on and off this year with finding a patch of land to set up shop and have a place to dump and process material. We found a sweet spot this past spring, a little over two acres, good location, and a great price for the area. Problem was it was zoned wrong. So we kinda kept looking, but never found anything as good, most everything else was way out of budget(generally, its at least $100k/acre for commercial or industrial zoned land here, this property was zoned ag for $45k). So anyways, a few days ago Dad was on a bid for a client of ours and got to talking with him, turns out this guys specialty is rezoning land, he knows all the right people to talk to, has the connections, etc. Dad showed him a printout and explained it all, and the guy said it shouldn't be a problem at all to rezone that, that he deals with stuff like this all the time and a little 2 acre plot isn't a big deal.

Back on track, I had a few questions I had hoped some guys or gals could answer or give some insight on.

1. This guy(who we know well, as well as good friends of ours know well and has a great rep) is very confident is being able to rezone this property should we: Try to buy it before rezoning below their asking price(its been on the market over a year now, as its kind of a useless piece of land zoned as it is for its size, plus its on a corner between two roads backing up to an interstate, so it doesn't connect to a larger piece of land) and cross our fingers hoping the rezoning goes well, which it should as we trust our guy quite a bit. Or should we put an offer on it with the condition that we buy it and pay X amount if the rezoning goes through.

2. Should we purchase it under the business name, our name, or even start another company and purchase it under that name? Two reasons I ask are we are looking to run a yard waste recycling center out of here, and Dad and I think it'd be better to have that separate from the tree side, so other tree care companies who dump there wouldn't be dissuaded from giving more money to the competition in town. I read in a few magazines as well, having the land under another name gives the business another avenue to shed profit, by paying rent or whatever to that person or company. Make sense?

3. Finally, this last one Dad and I kind of butt heads on. We're coming up into winter here, which is normally a rough time for us, but this year we have a decent bit of winter work stacked up, enough to see Dad and I through without scrapping by or missing payments I think. But he's cautious and wants to wait till spring to move on the land. I think we should move on it now, as it'll put us ahead of the game in spring when its time to mulch, as we can buy bulk and actually make a better profit on it then buying by the scoop. As well as, a few of the tree care guys stay busier than us in winter, so their dump fees for the winter would at least cover whatever monthly payment we would have on it. Not to mention, a friend is looking to start a small milling gig and needs a place to store some logs/lumber etc, and we'd have a good place to set up our firewood side of the business as well for the winter. Just seems like a better business decision to me to move on it now, but what do you guys think?

Backing up to an Interstate would be my question. Rezoning may be easy, but with an Interstate very close, it may be a trouble. I think dad is cautious because he's seen more winters than you have. Heads will always butt in that scenario. If your friend is confident and trustworthy, I would make an offer before mentioning it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Backing up to an Interstate would be my question. Rezoning may be easy, but with an Interstate very close, it may be a trouble..

Trouble as in guys breaking in and stealing stuff? Right now it has a good layer of scrub trees and undergrowth crap like Honeysuckle that kind of blocks and shields it from the interstate. Everything is fenced in as well, forgot to mention that part.

I would offer prior to also given what you have stated. And can't really see any issue with getting it zoned commercial backing a interstate. The bill board can only work in your favor in the long haul. Not so sure on the seperate entity as then you loose the bill board per se. Camera setups are cheap and a good write off also and go a long way in protecting things.
Is two acres enough?
Your milling friend and getting set up prior to spring can't be wrong IMHO.
But is 2 acres enough?

Makes sense to me to buy it now and start making money at it as soon as u can. rezoning shouldn't be a problem but I guess it is a slight risk.

It's closer to 2.5 acres, like 2.4 something. It's enough to get us going and something established for quite a few years. Anything more and we get way out of budget(like $300k plus at least).

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming, every little bit helps!

After meeting you I have no doubt you can do it! I just know how fast my small yard fills up don't want you to find that becomes a issue. All the best.

Thanks man! Yea, I'm a bit worried about things filling up quick, but were exploring a few options for processing and getting rid of stuff, so hopefully that isn't an issue!

Don't rule out something zoned Ag. You might be able to toss 50 Arbs in a row and claim you are growing them to sell. Basically BS'ing that tree growing and sales is a part of your business.

Don't rule out something zoned Ag. You might be able to toss 50 Arbs in a row and claim you are growing them to sell. Basically BS'ing that tree growing and sales is a part of your business.

Thanks Chris. If I remember right, we looked into doing this and they actually have a different zoning for that type of stuff, something to do with nursery growing. Their description of ag is pretty specific for this area. I'll double check that idea though, it's a good one.

Hey Adrian, IMO which is worth spit, buying land is never a bad investment. They can print more money but they cannt make more land. It is a tangible which has intrinsic worth. The fact that it will help your business grow is just another plus. Do it and you wont regret it.

Thanks Paul, I think a lot of us here value your opinion quite a bit! That's basically how I've always felt, land always seems like a good investment to me.

So, do they tax you on land ownership in KY? In NY they take a healthy bite twice every year. County and School. Having it assessed agricultural lowers the amount quite a bit. The goofy part is we have to pay the school tax, which is the larger one, up front and then file for a rebate when we file our state income tax.

One of the great things in the states, like Paul says, is that land continues to be a good investment, That isn't always the case in some other developed countries, where when the economy sours a bit or more, it can soon be reflected in the much decreasing value of property. People in the states that haven't experienced living abroad, often don't quite get a sense of the opportunity of America, and if possible, how they should take advantage of it. I mean it certainly isn't all good, who the hell would want to live in Chicago, and first time buyers are often at a hindrance. Property values on the west coast have much gone up in certain area due to low interest rates and a shortage of availability. If you are an owner and wanting to sell, it is a good time. The economy in the states isn't so great i guess, but the cost of property goes up, especially desirable living locations where work is abundant Pretty unique, I think.

So, do they tax you on land ownership in KY? In NY they take a healthy bite twice every year. County and School. Having it assessed agricultural lowers the amount quite a bit. The goofy part is we have to pay the school tax, which is the larger one, up front and then file for a rebate when we file our state income tax.

School tax is figured in with our property tax, so there's no getting out of it. We have home-schooled all our children, never benefiting from the "school system". I figure they could shoot me a few funds to cover curriculum in our "school"...

You are benefitting from the school system in that you won't grow old in country run by idiots (well, that may be a stretch), plus you always have the option at any time to put your kids in public school. I know what you mean, though.

Sorry Sean, but I have to disagree with you as to that "benefit". I think if you are going to "benefit" from it, you should pay something into it. If not, you should be exempt. I have to pay for books/curriculum, registration/tuition, and all associated costs for my children's education, so why should I have to ALSO chip in for everyone else's?

Back