Jack

Treehouser
WHAT'S BEST:
Yale Whip Lock
Samson Lock Stitch
Locking Brummel
Or ... ???

NickfromWI? Single Braid Splice Locks.jpg

The first two are straight bury splices, which I believe are the strongest but not the most secure. The first has a whip lock, the second a lock stitch. Both are secure, but too me the whip lock just looks better and has a better finished look. The last is a locked brummel splice with what looks like no stitching. The locked brummel is the most secure, but not as strong as a straight bury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. :/:

Actually the three single braid splices are very similar in the bury. Which locking method is best? That is the question.

The first two are straight bury splices, which I believe are the strongest but not the most secure. The first has a whip lock, the second a lock stitch. Both are secure, but too me the whip lock just looks better and has a better finished look. The last is a locked brummel splice with what looks like no stitching. The locked brummel is the most secure, but not as strong as a straight bury.

That's long been my opinion, too. I'm just looking for other's experiences.

I've also done the 'hidden' or 'invisible' lock stitch but it's really no different that an open lock stitch.

I almost always do locked Brummel with hidden stitching. I do this because it's the way I learned and it's the splice method that I trust the most. I have never liked the straight bury.

On bdl braids, I will do both lock stitch and whip lock depending on the rope and how I feel.

I personally don't care how nice my splices look at the end... They are a tool for me, not art. As long as it's a safe and correctly done splice, I'm good with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back