Phablet Phone/Tablet use for bids, associated apps

Jobber. I do it on jobsites for big jobs right on my phone. For small jobs I'll just remember everything and do it when I get back to my truck.

Actually, i go in to every bid planning on remembering everything. If it turns out to be a bigger job, after like 5-7 items I'll ask the client to stop for a sec then I'll just open up the Notes app and just type everything in a shorthand code that gets converted to an estimate when I get back to the truck.

I have been playing with the idea of a truck based printer and laptop to do written estimates/contracts while on site for the bid.

About as far as I've made it...

Carl, guess you are talking about a portable or mobile printer. There seems to be some useful ones on the market.

I used an in-car printer when I worked for the family biz. It worked just fine. Nowadays we email 99.9% of all our estimates. In 2012 we paper mailed 2 estimates to LOLs (little old ladies). Everything else was email.

I ask and ask.... Majority of my clients are retired and decline corresponding through e mail. Only a few exceptions. More people my age and younger are starting to come up here setting up for retirement. Probably be more in the next 5-10 years willing to use on line and CC services.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys.

I spoke with Erik more about it (he's a computer nerd tree man), and likely will get a tablet of some kind. I think the ability to show people things on a bigger screen will be worthwhile. Just, which kind?

I use ipad mini, big enough to be useful but not so expensive that if something happened to it at work it would be a real problem.

Back