Shortening Double Braid Eye 2 Eye Sling

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I have an eye in a 3/4's rope. I want to make a an eye and eye sling out of it.

a 3/4's fid is 15.75" So with 5 fids between the slipknot and Mark D (the extraction for core bury) and then a long fid (10.5") between D and B ( the second mark for the eye) that gives me a minimum distance of 89.25" between eyes (almost 7.5') I would like to get it closer to 5' or 6'.

Is it as simple making marks B and A using only a 4 fid length span between D and the slip knot, then leaving an extra fid length of cover past A??

What methods can I use for making it shorter, I know its possible as I have seen it in finished state.

When I make a R&R FS I just make the first splice normally. I make sure to whiplock that end then I spike that side and do the other eye. As long as you have enough rope left to get at the 3rd mark you need to make on the core you're good to go.

I'm not sure of exact measurements. I usually just wing it. You should be able to shave some good length off that though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didnt wait, I just made it. I was afraid to ruin the piece of rope, if I had a bunch of extra length I would have tried it. I didnt have enough to redo it if it didnt work out and I didnt want to waste the last bit of rope I had.

Looking at it in retrospect the length is fine. When we set a block from the ground with a bullrope there is always enough stretch that the block drops down 3-4' feet from the anchor point (or more), so having an 8' sling and letting the rigging point slack 3-4' is not a big deal.

Back