Eye splice - safety blue high vee

Pelorus

TreeHouser
Having no small difficulty pulling out the marked strand pairs from the end of the cover braid.
Wondering if this hardship is "normal". Is a hank of new rope, the end hasn't been melted or whipped or anything other than a wrap of making tape. Even with pliers it is brutal - trying to pull out the strands is hockling the ropeis something fierce.

once you get one or two of the strands out, it gets progressively easier as you go... Pull hard with the pliers, then milk from the pull point towards the rope end. This helps un-hockle and let the strand pull free slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. I gave up for now, but will go back to it when I'm angry about something or other. Rage will provide so,e necessary adrenaline.
Just surprised it is such a bear.

It's definitely difficult. I actually pull on the 2 marked cover strands closest to the end of the rope so I can see where they are (by tension) a little further down the cover. Then I pull them out much further down to the end of the tail, and move up 6 or so inches and repeat. Like Ian said, once a couple are out it gets much easier.

That might be clear, or clear as mud. Let me know if that makes sense or not.

I also have a 3' "needle" that I use for 16 strand. Makes it WAY easier to splice.

Yes, I got the core out first.
Am following the instructions on New England Rope's website.

What tool are you using to get the strands out?

I grab one strand, pull it- then milk the tail until it unbunches, then do it again

Don't rely on muscle. Take your time. Zen out on that mofo.

The second one will be way easier and it's cake after that.

I also like to work the first strand from half way down the tail, get it out at the half way point, then go up to the taper and take it out from there.

love
nick

Rage will provide some necessary adrenaline.

This is the wrong technique. The rope will destroy you. The rope will make you bleed. The rope will give you blisters. And in all this, I often see the rope get mutilated to the point that the splice can't be completed.

Practice doing what you can with as little physical exertion as possible.

love
nick

Thanks much, guys. I tried with a pair of needle nose pliers and tried squeezing the strand and rotating the pliers like winding spaghetti on a fork. Doesn't work. Also just tried pulling a strand with a straight pull with the pliers, but all that seems to do is annoy the rope. Will try the Zen technique suggested, tomorrow. Less force, more finesse.

This is the wrong technique. The rope will destroy you. The rope will make you bleed. The rope will give you blisters. And in all this, I often see the rope get mutilated to the point that the splice can't be completed.

Practice doing what you can with as little physical exertion as possible.

This is great advice and will make more sense the more you splice. I remember when I started splicing EVERYTHING I did was brute force. I snapped snares in my toss wand like it was going out of style.

After a while the different splices make more sense, and you get a feel for when to pull the core for something, or when to check for a snag, etc. 16 strand was my absolute least favorite rope to splice before. Now I consider it one of the faster ropes to splice and enjoy it.

After you get your taper done, if you run into problems at the crossover put it down and post. No rope I've sworn at has ever spliced any easier. :)

When I splice lightly used 16 strand (much more difficult) I pull out about 2 inches, cut it opposite the bury end, tie a knot in the individual strand to be pulled and clamp it in a small bench vise and pull away, This has proven to be very helpful. Hockeling the bury end can be, "undone" but hockeling the non bury portion of the rope where the bury will enter is a deal breaker. By cutting the strand you ensure you are not pulling from both directions.

I usually don't do this on new rope as it is much easier to pull clean, non-furried strands.

Isn't there some coating gluing the fibers like the throwline in dyneema ?
For this, it needs working and bunching the throwline in order to break the bonds between the strands.

Finally got back to finishing what I started. You guys were right (of course); after the first pair of cover strands got pulled out, (which I cut, so they aren't visible) it was easy after that.
Ended up ugly, but it was a good learning experience.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yup! It is a nice blend of frustration and satisfaction.
Did this little eye splice up as well using 5/8 Husky or StableBraid. Didn't have any 3/4" lying around.

image.jpg

Back