Splicing rope to ascender

Mr Saugeen

Prospect
Hey all.
I was just wanted to know if it's alright to splice a rope to the center hole on my petzl ascentree. I have been using the petzl presto quick link but wanted something more streamlined. And if this is acceptable, what would be the best cordage.
Cheers

I don't have an ascendtree in front of me but I would probably use the metal connector myself.

The metal of the ascender isn't very thick and doesn't give a much of a bend radius for the rope.

If you REALLY wanted go directly to it I would consider some sort of metal thimble for the eye.

Welcome to the treehouse!

As long as you use a thimble it will be fine. Any of these should do nicely.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/products.asp?category_id=298
Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 5.32.29 PM.png

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=298&item=879
Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 5.33.10 PM.png

As for the material or type of rope I would say that depends on your splicing skill level and the application. Is it for life support? If so you can use 3 Strand or one of the fancier cords; beeline or ocean polyester are both great splicable cords. The thimbles I listed above all have a minimum diameter of 10mm except for the black circle one which is for 1/2" line.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=191&item=171
Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 5.41.01 PM.png

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1431
Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 5.40.42 PM.png

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1926
Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 5.40.22 PM.png

Good luck and make sure to post pictures.

WELCOME TO THE TREE HOUSE!

-Nick

Welcome to the Treehouse.

I agree with Adam the hole is made for some sort of link or biner. The bend radius is just to tight to splice direct for life support.

Now we will see if Nick comes along with some neat solution. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers MasterBlaster.

Adam, I understand what your saying. With the ascendtree it's two ascenders together so the bend radius is twice as think as a normal ascender, in fact I think it's the same thickness as the petzl presto quick link I was using.
I'm just trying to do some splicing projects.
Thanks all.

Nick, right on. plastic thimbles. I even have one or two kicking around. As for the ocean polyester, is that just an easy class 1 double braid splice. I spliced some 3/8 beeline a number of years ago and it was too easy, in a good way.

Even if the bend radius is reasonable, its still metal that would chafe on the rope and you move about...thimble for sure!
Nice to have a new face, welcome!

Nick, right on. plastic thimbles. I even have one or two kicking around. As for the ocean polyester, is that just an easy class 1 double braid splice. I spliced some 3/8 beeline a number of years ago and it was too easy, in a good way.

I just did 2 eyes in 10mm op. It is a class 1 db and I consider it an easy rope to splice and always enjoy it.

I'm not sure about the splice type for the "new" 3/8 beeline.

I have rope spliced directly to MY ascender, but it's ISC and its as thick as a carabiner. I would use some sort of protection on this.

In all honesty, I would just slip a piece of tubular webbing over the eye. When it eventually chafed through the webbing, if chop it off and replace it.

I don't like the thinness of Petzl ascenders. You can tell they didn't plan on us attaching rope directly to the ascender. So you're making a compromise in doing it. But that ascender slips at around 1,000 pounds anyways, so the bend in the rope probably isn't the weak point anyways.

The thimble is a good option and I think you could squish that small one into the hole.

I'd do it with Yalex, personally.

love
nick

I wanted a streamline setup on my ISC dual ascender for the footstrap so I spliced a larger eye on a length of tenex and then girthed it to the eye. Has worked great for months, I probably wouldn't do that for a life support connection however,

jp:D

It would be totally legit for life connection. Think about the ratio of rope diameter to metal thickness. None of us would have a prob clipping a 1/2 rope to a carabiner. The 3/8" Yalex clipped to an ISC ascender is probably a similar or BETTER bend ratio.

love
nick

Although the metal at that attachment hole is doubled on the Ascentree (giving it a decent bend ratio), it's not very rounded off (i.e. somewhat sharp edges, unlike a carabiner). I'd go with some kind of rope protection. The plastic thimble would be ideal if you can fit it in there.

You could also splice a larger eye with a webbing into the splice and then girth it, you would still have protection from the sharper edges and you could pull it off if/when you needed.

jp:D

I think I'm going to stick with the Petzl quick link. I'll splice a lanyard out of some 10mm rope and ad a prusik to adjust the length.
The blue thimble I had on hand didn't sit all that well.
Thanks all.
Hey JP, I think I ran into you a number of years ago at the Lyon Arboretum.

If you have an old throwbag, take the ring off it and splice it into the locked brummell (between the locks) and you can use it as a slack tender to shorten the tether one handed if needed.

And just when I thought it doesn't get any better, you added the slack tender. Sweet as!

Thats me. I asked about the Albizia trees, you were going to cut one down in the afternoon but my girlfriend wasn't really in to spending our vacation time that way. A few of her friends rent a beach house in Waialua every year. We can't make it this year.

Back