The Anti/I don't get Hunting Thread

Husabud

TreeHouser
This may end up a lot like the gun thread, but since it was brought up a time or two elsewhere, here it is.

So what's on your mind?

It does nothing for me, like sports. I don't care for killing things, but when I can't get my meat at the store I will become a Mighty Hunter.

You don't have to get it. Its a choice.

I respect every animal Ive ever hunted, and I eat every animal I kill on a hunt. Hows that any worse than eating something raised to be slaughtered in a slaughterhouse? Hunting is far more humane.

I love hunting. The kill matters little to me. The time in nature and the challenge of outsmarting game is my joy. I do respect those that dont enjoy the sport as well.

I love hunting and I love it even more when I dont kill anything. When I shoot a deer I have to drag it by myself, gut it by myself, load it by myself, and pay for it to get butchered. My favorite part is spending time with my Dad and now my boys. And sleeping in the woods. I am really getting excited for this years deer hunting season. We have many very cool traditions at deer camp.

Id never pay someone to butcher my deer.

The only thing I pay for is having the scrap meat processed into sausage and the such. Otherwise I do all my own butchering. To me, its part of the hunt.

Deer camps ive been to had deep routed traditions of getting and remaining drunk as shit the whole time in are there.

Such as???

First tradition is that all traditions stay a secret ;-)

Actually its the small things that I will always remember. Like going to get lunch on Friday before opening day at this little hole in the wall on the way to camp. A newer tradition is to watch Escabana in da Moonlight after the first day of hunting. The newest one is one that we started last year when my boys came for the first time. That is having a bon fire one night. Oh yeah, whiskey and beer, and more whiskey. We do have others as well but I will keep those to myself.

No antis here so far. Hunting done ethically is good stuff imo. I posted a couple weeks ago about "pigman" and Ted Nugent slaughtering and wasting hogs in Texas, I watched one more pigman episode since and I had to stop recording his show, he's a straight- up sadist.

Id never pay someone to butcher my deer.

The only thing I pay for is having the scrap meat processed into sausage and the such. Otherwise I do all my own butchering. To me, its part of the hunt.

I agree, as is the pack out. The worse the pack, the better the story. The kill is the smallest part of the hunt and the part a good hunter tries to make go fast.

If the heart hasn't been ruined in the hunt it is always fried up up first!

I have consigned to hunting only if the family need the meat. Somewhere I lost my way as a hunter. One too many maybe... Putting down too many pets. I don't remember when the hunt faded for me. I would rather use a camera these days. Stalk to get that shot of something special in nature. I teach the kids with small caliber how to stalk game. But it's just not in my blood anymore. I grew up with it. One would think I would find some joy in the hunt. I find more joy in tree work. Think I will just stick with that. :)

I don't care one bit for killing mammals. Birds, fish, I have no problem with: I could work in a factory.

But not mammals.

So, do you folks who hunt big cats & bears etc see it as sport on a necessary cull?

I understand killing & eating - it's the pure sport I don't understand

In these parts if a bear wanders into town, the city office will call out some hunters. This is the time of year when the bears most spread out looking for food, one just today was on the news, apparently getting into town along the train tracks. If they can catch up to the animal they will blow it away. I can understand the thought of necessity to do that, but it still seem cruel. Usually the bears will make it back into the mountains before anyone gets off a shot. They can sure run for it.

Back