Hunting 2012

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Let's get it poppin.

Headed to New Hampshire to hunt with the legendary John Green next week behind his hounds for bear. His hounds are responsible for the current state record. He and his camera man make videos for a living. Bears in the fall, then off to Montana for mountain lion filming in the winter. His hounds are arguably the best in the country right now and I got in touch with this guy after seeing him on TV on an episode of the Bear Whisperer.
I'm excited to death.

John has a number of dvd's out and I'm excited to buy a few off of him when I go to stay with him and his family. He doesn't run an outfitting camp. I was simply invited as a guest to come and hunt and stay with him. Check out his page on Facebook. Greens Hounds Green.

Chris, sounds great! Perhaps ask John if he has ever heard of hunting bears with dogs, and then killing the bear with a knife, after remaining unseen while the bear was occupied with the dogs. It might just be an old Asian thing, a traditional skill. I know a mountain man. Crazy Asians!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whoa, that's some old school stuff there Jay. The odds are that I won't kill a bear. John and his hounds tree over a hundred bears a year, however, John made it very clear to me that his guests will kill boars only, 300 pounds or better. No sows, no immature bears, no way. He assured me I would stare up the tree at several bears but whether or not we tree one that meets his criteria remains to be seen. I'm taking my bow.

That would be a first, shooting up into a tree. I am going to be about five miles from there with the fam. The place I stay at was at one point called bear bog. Still plenty of bear around too.

Yeah. You're in Warren right? I'll be in Campton just south of Stinson Lake. My buddy's wife found a set of sheds that are huge, maybe 275-280. Awesome area. Some old apple orchards in them hills and lots of old farmland that is still being worked.

Ya ill be in warren. Sleeping there anyhow. Where ill be hunting I don't know. I'm excited to go but truth be told, I'm truly sad that I'm not headed up to the Allagash this year. My heart is there.

I understand that. Totally different country where you'll be, at least from my experience in the Allagash. Bring your hiking boots.

I don't have any. I have some danner bowhunting boots, and my whites smokejumpers. I wear my smokejumpers from wake up to bed time but I bet I ought to take my danners. They are made more for hoofing.

IMAG0003-1.jpg

FB_IMG_13487883337374321.jpg

My wife got me another grouse gun. An Ithaca SKB 280 20 gauge imp/mod, fully engraved, ejectors, and barrel selector. Never used a side by side. I don't know how well ill even shoot a side by side, but I've wanted this particular model for awhile. Not an exhibition grade gun, more of a super well built, good handling, working gun.

Nice! The Danners will do. The low areas may be a little wet, but not too bad. They're more for the hills.

I guess he is a maple syrup producer in the spring and a professional houndsman the rest of the year.

His hounds are arguably some of the top big game hounds in America currently. I'm very excited.

Side by side is the only proper configuration for upland birds, imho. I greatly enjoy my Beretta Silver Hawk.

The Ithica is a nice shotgun, too. I always liked a 20 gauge when I hunted quail in the southeast, but when I came west 35 years ago and started in on chukkars and pheasants, a 12 served better.

I'm not very clear on it, but I would imagine that there is a difference in temperament between dogs that will chase and tree a bear, and those that will actually try to fight one. I recall my knife hunting friend telling me that back in those days his dogs were rather uncivilized. When I asked him how his Beagles that he now uses to run deer would do, he just laughed. I have never seen such muscular Beagles.

Headed out for Eastern Washington elk on the 25th of October. Be out there for 10 days. Can't wait. Been an annual trip for over 25 years. With the exception of the years I was deployed on aircraft carriers. But everybody else in camp still went. :)

Gary

Treed an angry sow today. She decided to come out of the tree and take a swing at us. I'll have footage of it in the future.
IMAG0677.jpg

Back