WTB Simpson Chainsaw Capstan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
HAve you looked into the Honda powered capstans?
No. I have plenty of powerheads, as is, so I was preferring to just pick up the capstan and rope. I just got two saws back in operation that are 'extras'. I like multipurpose-ness.

Do you know of one with the Honda?

I think it's called the super winch. I have a lewis with a donkey husky 365, I hear ya about multipurposefulness. I think my buddy has one (Simpson) that he barely uses I will call him later today and see if he wants to part with it.

FWIW there's one of those little Honda powered deals on flea bay as I type .I don't think they have a real large pulling capacity .

Performance Load/Line Pull in Pounds Line Speed (ft / min) With 1.6 Cubic Inch Saw Engine Line Speed (ft / min) With 3.5 Cubic Inch Saw Engine
0 42 42
500 35 38
1,000 25 35
1,500 22 32
2,000 --- 25
2,500 --- 22

Looks like good portable power, rated up to 2500 pounds. I have a 12K electric winch on my truck for really hard pulls. I'm thinking of this as a way to do backyard skidding of brush and logs, pulling over trees, and maybe can work as a poor man's wraptor while on an independent climb line with hitch.

I wonder about overloading it with too big of a saw, or if it will just 'top out'. I've got a ms 211, 361, 460, 064, 660 to choose from. thoughts?

I just got off the phone with him and he is going to keep it for whatever reason I am not sure.
I think that if you use a larger saw, say 660, you will shear some pins inside as you would on a Lewis winch, kind of like an built in overload fuse.

No worries on saw size with the Simpson. I have mine mated to an 034 Super, but have used an 044. During the Tree House Project, we used a 660 powered Simpson to hoist folks into the big redwood.

HAve you looked into the Honda powered capstans?
I know of a few loggers who work 8 hr days with the Honda capstans doing selective logging in federal parks. When setup anchored to a tree you only have to hold the rope to work them, not awkwardly holding the saw throttle and rope as you would with the Simpsons.
The Honda models are very efficient in production skidding. Of course the poly cone is also recommended.

I was thinking of using a double-sized piece of velcro for a throttle lock, then apply the tension to the line. When I'm ready, slack the line and pull the velcro.

Good idea Sean! I haven't used mine in ages, but have tried a similar trick.....

The trouble with locking a chainsaw's powerhead throttle WOT is usable power is over 10,000-12,000 rpm or higher. A little hairy when your doing a long skid, or when working the rope and spool.

The Honda is governed with its all day reliable power at 3500 rpm approx WOT, can run all day at that speed.

Back