Euro 2012

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
Hup Holland Hup!! Go orange!

Netherlands-gettu.jpg

Oh, please.
Not here as well.
The papers and TV are full of it, and for a guy who have NEVER understood the allure of kicking a ball around, when you could kick the guy behind the ball, it is TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't stand all the furore that goes with football (soccer). Total turnoff.

Had a conversation with a school caretaker today about trees, we felled a beautiful old tree because it dropped leaves in the gutter, and reduced another one for the same reason. He was complaining about the remaining tree, saying he would still have to clean the gutters. I pointed out that he was paid to do so, so at least he wouldnt be out of work. That didnt go down too well.

The grass on the football pitch gets cut every week, and no-one complains about that, so I think we need a multi million pound sport that can only be played with mature trees, then maybe people will value them slightly higher!

football sucks.

On the bright side, Canadian grand prix tomorrow! Qualifying is at 10.30 tonight for some reason. Last years race was truly EPIC.

C'mon now I thought all you Europeans were football hooligans. This has changed my mental image of the entire continent.

Take a poll of blokes in a pub, yes. Take a poll of tree guys, the majority have no interest in football. Odd but true in my experience.

I was just poking some fun at y'all. It's sort of like how I have zero interest in the NHL. Actually I'm not a fan of any sports teams (except my daughters) although I do enjoy playing most sports.

What I hate about sport is the nationalism that goes hand in hand with it.

We all used to poke fun at the Eastern European countries that trained their athletes in cruel ways, because when they won, it was proof that communism was better than capitalism.
But we are no better ourselves.
When Bjarne Riis won the tour de France 70.000 danes showed up in Copenhagen to hail him.
When the Danish soccer team won the European championship sometime in the 80es or 90es ( I'm probably the only inhabitant of this country, who can't remember the exact date, except for my grandmother, and she has been dead for 12 year!) the whole country was in an uproar.
Now Denmark was simply the best country in the world.

To me, there is a VERY slight margin between sports fanatics and this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UjsbQFr0vO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watch a little football, but I don't get why the players have to often roll around on the turf in seeming agony after some little bump, when there is nothing wrong with them. They all seem to do it....one way to get a rest, I guess.

I like football, the strategy is very similar to field hockey, of which I was a player/goalie for many years.
I listened to the Holland / Denmark game on the radio this afternoon while giving my work van a wash, wax and interior polish this afternoon...BTW Demark beat Holland 1-0...serious upset, Stig, put your earplugs in this evening...

I'll watch just about any sports finals, even golf...but not baseball, cricket is more exciting than baseball...

.BTW Demark beat Holland 1-0...serious upset, Stig, put your earplugs in this evening...

I'll do better than that.
I'm off for a week in Scotland, the mass hysteria will have died down somewhat when I return:lol:

Baseball isn't supposed to be exciting, Fiona, except for some moments. It's a pastoral activity that originated in a corn field. The nuances to the game are sublime amongst the nothing much is happening periods; while some vendor hawks his beer, a hot dog wrapper blows across the field, the pitcher shakes off a sign, and the guy in the third base coach's box with his hands on his knees is wearing a world series ring. The build up of tension and release is like no other sport, and fans yawning. It generally takes knowing the game to appreciate these things. Sort of like how the open spaces within a sculpture add to the totality of the piece.

Take a poll of blokes in a pub, yes. Take a poll of tree guys, the majority have no interest in football. Odd but true in my experience.

True in my experience too.

I liked playing it , can't stand all the fanatism around it..

If they stopped football championship here I guess many would suicide, losing their reason to live and not having anything to talk about for the whole week.:/:

We have had a clown at the goverment for the last twenty years and the country was sinking with him but hey...
what to worry about? just give me my sofa, my beer and my football match....everything will be fine.

If they stopped football championship here I guess many would suicide, losing their reason to live and not having anything to talk about for the whole week.:/:

what to worry about? just give me my sofa, my beer and my football match....everything will be fine.

Sounds a lot like here, Victoria is the worst state for it. They don't sit at home though, they go out in any weather, seems to me the colder and wetter it is the more they like it.:what:

They go mad about everything down there especially Aussie Rules, or aerial ping pong as it used to be known as.:laughing6:

afl2.jpg

Jay that was hilarious!

Reb, even thought I don't get Aussie rules I DO like the uniforms, or should I say, how well they fit...

Back