Remington 22 cal. 1909..

• Thread starter ClimbingFool
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 6K
C

ClimbingFool

I just picked up this 22. got all kinds of markings on it, but a little difficult to identify an model. Anybody an authority on old Remingtons?

DSC08747.jpg

My grandaddy had one very much like that, a .22 with octagonal barrel. I used it to kill the squirrels that were stealing his pecans from the baskets in his barn...took the squirrels to Mr. Eunice, an approx. 75 year old farm hand, and he had them for his supper. He was very appreciative to me as he stirred his fish stew over an open fire in the front yard...cooking it in a cast iron pot for his dogs. He was a very interesting fellow.

I think one of my cousins got that gun...I really did like it. It is cool you have that one. I'll be curious to see what you learn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yes , it is an octagon barrel. Breaks apart in the center. From what the 85 year old guy told me it was a trapper model, although he was the second owner. I used to shoot one similar to it when I was a kid. A blind guy owned it of all people.... although he wasn't blind when it was givin to him...

It has a few problems, but I really don't know whether I should just wall mount it or whether it can be fixed with out ruining what value it has...

Model 12 ? it doesn't say that anywhere just a serial number on the trigger plate RW330792 and on the barrel, Perderson Pat. Jan 5th 1909,Oct 12th 1909,March 8 1910, Nov 21 1911, and April 16 1912. .22 short, long or long rifle...

I'll bet a few bucks its a model 12. They started making that gun in 1909, hence all the patents from around that time. I scrolled through my gun blue book a bit ago, and looked it up.

Thanks ..... I could't find much on the internet. Remington seemed to have gone through quite a few changes. Are they worth anything other than looking cool and fun to shoot ?

hmmm.... I guess I paid to much for it, but it's a cool gun. I guess another hundred years and it will be worth 500....lol.. Appreciate you looking that up for me ..

Floor isn't too shabby either. I do like the curves in the stock, especially the subtle one on the bottom.

If its the gun you wanted, and it was available, and resale isn't a concern, then you did fine. With old guns, there's an opportunity cost to be considered. The book says its worth a price. The book doesn't account for you having an opportunity to buy it. If those opportunities don't come your way often, then it might cost you a few extra bucks to seal the deal and have your prize.

The book value is sometimes useless in pricing guns. The gun auction websites are a better gauge of what people are currently willing to spend on a particular gun.

My grandaddy had one very much like that, a .22 with octagonal barrel. I used it to kill the squirrels that were stealing his pecans from the baskets in his barn...took the squirrels to Mr. Eunice, an approx. 75 year old farm hand, and he had them for his supper. He was very appreciative to me as he stirred his fish stew over an open fire in the front yard...cooking it in a cast iron pot for his dogs. He was a very interesting fellow.

I think one of my cousins got that gun...I really did like it. It is cool you have that one. I'll be curious to see what you learn.

I have never eatin a squirl...... what do those things tast like..... Chicken ? :lol:

According to my " Gun trader's guide" they started making the model 12 in 1912 and ended it in 35.

There is no doubt that it is a model 12 you have. Either a B or C model. The B model is only chambered for shorts.

Wonder what would be the thinking in only chambering for shorts, unless the longer shells hadn't become available yet?

Very cool looking gun.

The oldest .22 rifles I have ever had was score-master and target-master

yep looks like the standard 12c... thanks guys... was very helpful.... now I need to look up my Winchester model 70 270...

hahahha, Willie..you make an offer that is EASY to refuse. :lol:

I had a buddy come back from VietNam...he was a chopper pilot there. We went rockclimbing one cold winter weekend in N. GA on Mt. Yonah. There was a bit of snow, ice that year, pretty rough conditions for N. GA. so we did not climb the first day. We got up early that AM and I shot two squirrels from the top of a big boulder that we often rappelled off of. The two girls we had with us stayed in the van since it was pretty cold. He told me he knew how to cook the squirrels, part of his E&E training in the Army (escape and evasion) so I let him have at it. He made a stew of squirrel, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, etc. It was really probably pretty good (I don't remember it being bad) but the girls with us were NOT impressed with squirrel stew. Heck, we felt like we had done something pretty neat...guess they were more the girly kind of girls than the squirrely kind of girls.

Now I consider squirrels tree rats...I don't even consider eating one.

Back