Sterling RIT 8mm Cord

Rich has a sewing machine now I believe, contact Luke at TreeStuff and see what he can do. If not, maybe call Sterling direct and see what they can do.

Are sewn eyes gaining in popularity because they are really that good or is it a marketing thing and it's easier and faster than splices?

Do you have any idea what percentage of the eyes are sewn vs spliced... at Wespur anyway?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I too think that they're ugly, but I am looking for a 24" short eye-to-eye (no knots) cord for my Rope Wrench and I believe that 26" is about as long as you can safely splice one so I am looking at the stitched ones.

No problem with them being strong or durable enough, no need to worry on that score.

What Burn, said. A properly done sewn eye is as strong as they come and in some situations the extra stiffness can be a real asset. I like em.

Dave

The slings in rock climbing are all bar tacked, mostly dyneema stuff now, but with nylon webbing still very popular. I have no problem trusting them or using them, and it is cheaper; BUT I still far prefer the hand splices in almost any case for arb work.

Dave,

When do you find the stiffness to be an asset? I am using an sewn ICE eye and eye right now and the stiffness is a PITA with my HC pulley, I am somewhat forced to clip into the middle hole to make it all neat and orderly which basically eliminated the function of the top hole as the bartacked area blocks it.

...When do you find the stiffness to be an asset? I am using an sewn ICE eye and eye right now and the stiffness is a PITA with my HC pulley, I am somewhat forced to clip into the middle hole to make it all neat and orderly which basically eliminated the function of the top hole as the bartacked area blocks it.

Well, different strokes I guess, Nick. What you are not liking about the sewn eye-and-eye on Ice with your HC pulley, I really liked. I never seemed to use the top hole anyway and the stiff legs of the sewn hitch cord locked into the flat part of the HC pulley. Nice and neat. Be that as it may, on some hitches like the pictured Distel, I find the stiff legs add considerable crispness that refine control.

041612004-1.jpg

Dave

Dave, just curious, do you find the distel your preference particularly when using the HH, or it's your one of choice for all climbing applications that require a friction hitch?

Jay, yes in my use with the Hitch Hiker the 4 and 2 Distel works perfect! While in DdRT I much preferred a VT type of knot. But knots respond differently when on an SRT line. And also, I still use the Unicender often...which is hitchless.

It is important to understand and remember that in work positioning with SRT tools, your goal is the sum or total of the jobs you require of it. There will be better tools or knots for ascending or descending but in working a tree you need more than that. You need reliability in the extreme or outer limits of our work, such as when pushing through tight or brushy limbs, functionality at odd or awkward angles, rain or snow, ect., while at the same time you need ease of movement, good feel and simplicity. It is easy to get hung up on a single aspect and not recognise when a system is not complete.

Dave

Back