Fitness thread

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
I'm getting back into running and working out lately. It's been about 3 weeks now. Any of you into that scene? How often? What do you find helpful for soreness? I've been drinking gallons of water daily and hitting the proteins to aid muscle repair. Any other ideas. Let's get this thread rolling.

Any exercise is good, and nice going getting back into it, Chris, but I can't quite figure why people run when they might be able to cycle instead. I think it is easier on your body, and more enjoyable. For soreness I go to the hot spring, but I realize that not everyone has that luxury. Of course running doesn't require any equipment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cycling is cool too. I do believe running using a few more muscle groups than biking.

I got into it for the first time in many moons recently because I want to be healthier. My cardio needs serious improvement. Plus, I want to drop a waist size or two. I bet it will reflect in my climbing. My metabolism has started to speed up lately. I'm hungry like a hostage every hour and a half for a small portion.

Butch, you dropped some pounds a few years back. Refresh my memory about your methods.

I have noticed that with hard exercise, the appetite sure does increase. I guess it may not be to your advantage in that regard.

My sources are telling me thats good. A faster metabolism can lead to weight loss, if handled properly. I guess small frequent portions are the trick. I just need to up my wellness. I'm 28 and am already feeling the abuse of tree work. My tension is my problem. I am working to really start stretching myself out.

Where's the Devil?

I would do just about anything to be 28 again... Ha.

Youth is wasted on the Young...

If you want true fitness go to a crossfit gym.

http://www.nepacrossfit.com/
http://www.nepacrossfit.com/what-is-crossfit

That gym is in your area Tuck, and like most crossfit gyms they offer a free week to try it out. You do not even have to go to a gym, crossfit workout basically use a plyo box, pull up bar, simple weights, and some kettlebells I think. Daily workouts are on the site, crossfit.com and most just use body weight.

It is serious stuff though, not easy by any means... But it will get you FIT! not gross body builder big...but like olympic fit.

Word. I have no desire to be jacked and look like a beast. I'm as strong as my work needs me to be. I want to be more stream lined, ya know?

Bonner1040 beat me to it. Crossfit is great for anyone of any age/size/ability. You may also want to try some omega 3 fish oil tablets to help with any joint pain and with recovery.

I'm too old to run. Walking will get me there just fine.

Doing tree work on the side is my gym exercise. That and taking care of mine and my mom's yardwork.

I must have lost a little weight recently. Had to order a pair of suspenders for my saddle.

I'm 44, and in better shape than I've been in for years. I've lost 20-25 pounds in the last 4 years, and I can really tell it when climbing. I do 55's now and then...10 push-ups, then 1 squat...9 push-ups, then 2 squats.....and so on til you reach 1 push-up and 10 squats. It'll get the cardio going for sure. The other day I turned it into 66's...I started with 11/1 and worked to 1/11. Not difficult at all, but still good exercise.

I do calisthenics every morning, my daily 7, I'll switch up what I do every 2 or 3 months to keep from getting in a rut, I'll also do weights and run 3 to 4 evenings as I have time, but the morning workout starts my day off right

I'd stay away from the crossfit fad myself, a lot of those excercises they do are just begging for injuries..

Lift, bike, run, swim, thats me six days a week. Traded in my barstool when my twins were born and never looked back. I like doing races because it gives me somethng to train for. For this year I've already signed up for a 12 mile obstacle course/mud run, two sprint triathlons, and one half marathon. I plan on adding at least two more tri's, a bunch of 5k's and maybe another 5k mud run... these things can get expensive...

Two things I would recommend right off the bat are read "born to run" and get yourself a good essential amino acid product.

Supplement discussions could go on forever. I remember it was Lou Ferrigno who said he's won contests using them and he's won contests not using them.

If you do any exercise in addition to your tree work or forestry work, etc, you'll be fine. No need to go off and buy all these supplements and pay $X per month for the latest fad workout programs.

Supplements are a waste of money. If you're eating a healthy diet, you're getting all the "supplements" you need!

And don't listen to the BS rule about eating once ounce of protein per pound in body weight daily. Too much of any vitamin or mineral or essential amino acid is not a good thing. Proteins are large molecules and can easily damage your kidneys when consumed in excess.

A good, well-balanced diet, exercise 3-5 days a week and you'll be good to go.

I've been getting in shape to take my pack test at the end of May. It's at 7,000' elevation and I'm currently at 4,500'. Jog a few times a week, hit the weights twice a week. Push ups, crunches, pull ups, lots of stretching the rest of the week. Get some hiking in at 8,000' on the weekends.

Back