Amsteel Splices

chris_girard

Treehouser
So, I'm going to be splicing up some crane slings and I'm wondering if I should use the Amsteel Blue or the Amsteel (SK60) grey color rope. What do you guys think?

Amsteel (SK60)

Is there a difference? I thought Amsteel was Amsteel. West Marine sells it in all different colors.

So there is SK60 and Sk75. Are they made out of different materials? I guess I could go look it up too and just answer my own question.

I see the Sk75 is a fair bit stronger as well. I guess I have used both and didn't know there was a difference. We made some rigging slings out of Amsteel Blue (sk75) and I have a retrieveable redirect that I use for climbing that must be the Amsteel Grey(sk60). I thought the SK60 seemed softer and more supple but I always assumed it was because it was a smaller diameter than the rigging sling. The Sk75 seemed like it would snag less. That's my thoughts but take it for what is worth considering I thought they were the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you guys make slings from Amsteel do you use a Locking Bummel, or a straight 3 fid bury that Samson recommends?

If I may ad to that, if in fact you use a locking brummel, what are you burying after the brummel in what fid lengths. It's such a damned grey area!

I did a locked brummel on my redi and straight bury on the sling. Please keep in mind that I am a novist compared to others here. I did the straight bury on the sling because it's supposed to be stronger. I like the security of the locked brummel on my life support, not to mention it won't be seeing the forces that rigging will.

This is really an area of uncertainty. It's worth getting on the buzz and searching some posts by Moray. He's done a lot of testing on differences between locked brummels vs. straight buries and whatnot.

The basic concept to understand is as follows:

Straight bury stronger, but less secure.
Locked brummel almost as strong, but WAY more secure.

Unless I'm trying to eek out the last bit of strength out of a sling, I'll choose the locked brummel over the straight bury every time. With a straight bury, you should easily be able to obtain 100% of the ropes strength. With a locked brummel, 90% should be easy to get.

As to how much to bury after? If you do the lock, you don't need the full three fids. You could easily cut it in half with no worries. Some would say 1 fid would be fine, and I've had good results in testing going all the way to 1/3" of a fid after the lock.

Most of the manufacturer's don't "encourage" the locked brummel for one reason or another, but most tree guys would much rather have it. We tend to prize security over strength.

Do the lock, you could even do a double lock, then do about 1 fid tail with a beautiful taper, of course.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL, Nick. No worries bro, but after seeing X's latest Amsteel II spliced slings over on TB, I'm thinking about trying that line before the Amsteel Blue.

Back