Soft Lat 3 Strand Tips

• Thread starter oscar4883
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
O

oscar4883

Anyone have any tips for keeping the strands from coming undone on softer lay 3 strand like Safety Blue? I have only worked with harder lay rope and have a few projects for this soft lay rope. As soon as I separate the three main strands they start to unravel making it a pain to splice. Thanks in advance.

I always tape each strand with masking tape and then cut it at a steep angle. With ropes that have a real soft lay, you won't even need any type of fid. I have only spliced safety blue 3 stand and once and that was kind of a bugger. I think you will need a fid for that one.

Hair Gel. No joke. It dries reasonably quick, will hold fine for the 5 minutes it takes to do the splice, then comes off easy with water.

After doing a few of the splices, you should just get good at managing the strands so that they don't ravel on ya. The hair gel was a neat trick to try and if you're desperate it'll make you happy. But a little practice should render the gel useless.

love
nick

I'll tell ya what we did on the two inch 3 strand nylon for mooring lines .You just tape the ends and right where you start on the bight of the rope for the eye splice .

As you reeve it though for the splice keep slightly twisting in the direction of lay with each segment .On the end of the splice don't cut it off flush .Because there is 70 percent elongation on 3 strand you let the tails hang out ,couple inchs worth .

If you're concerned about neat and spiffy either tape the tails up or encase the whole mess with shrink tube .That's my method at least ,others may be different .

Hair Gel. No joke. It dries reasonably quick, will hold fine for the 5 minutes it takes to do the splice, then comes off easy with water.

After doing a few of the splices, you should just get good at managing the strands so that they don't ravel on ya. The hair gel was a neat trick to try and if you're desperate it'll make you happy. But a little practice should render the gel useless.

love
nick

Cool, Nick, I will have to try that trick. Never heard of it before? Where did you come up with that.

I'll tell ya what we did on the two inch 3 strand nylon for mooring lines .You just tape the ends and right where you start on the bight of the rope for the eye splice .

As you reeve it though for the splice keep slightly twisting in the direction of lay with each segment .On the end of the splice don't cut it off flush .Because there is 70 percent elongation on 3 strand you let the tails hang out ,couple inchs worth .

this is how i do it too, tho ive never spliced 2" rope.

Most haven't but it's no different than 3/4" line except it's larger .Eye splice on 2" is about 16-18 long .Actually I've only done about 8-10 eyes on 2" myself and that was 40 years ago .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a great tip Nick. It is a hunk of Safety Blue 3-Strand and the individual strands sure do separate unlike Pro/Tree Master. On a sad not I have not needed and hair care products for some time now. LOL

Back