Home Security

I don't know about all that, my wife flat loves her Mossberg 20gauge with the pistol grip on it! Hell, she shoots skeet with it now and again even!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
5 years ago, we had our house broken into and my wife's wedding ring and jewerly were stolen. We have 2 teenage daughters and my wife is really afraid at night. We live out in the woods and she 's nervous at times.

She took an NRA course on how to shoot and defend herself, and now is quite the shot with a pistol, but still prefers a shotgun. I tell her not to worry, but these days, who can be sure?

Honestly for a woman I'd lean towards a .410, but the shells are higher than hell! It's a matter of what she likes to shoot, if she likes to shoot it, she will shoot it and be used to it. If she doesn't like to shoot it, well, she just wont!

Squish has a good home security method, those BIG friendly beasts out in his yard. I don't recall him mentioning guns in addition, but perhaps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I think that all women should learn about firearms and not be afraid of them. My oldest daughter refuses to learn how to shoot which I think is a shame.

Target shooting is a lot of fun. Wish I could do it here with more than a slingshot. Maybe Carl had enough fun, selling all that gear?

I have an 870 for home defense. I take my wife out to shoot it from time to time so she knows how to use it. It is the only gun in the house that has ammo in it full time and is accessible to us, up high away from kids and I don't believe the kids could shuck it if they did get it, but maybe Im nieve.......

It's a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 gauge with a 18-1/2" barrel.

That's what we've got, WITH the pistol grip ... and a folding shoulder stock.

I've got to respectfully submit that the pistol grip is a real asset in tight quarters.

Believe it or not, my wife loves to shoot firearms and has told me that she wants a shotgun for home security... What do you guys think?

I think Mrs. Girard is no woman to eff with! :lol:

Seriously though...

I'm surprised, actually; I find a pistol much easier to wield in a defense situation, and I'm a big guy.

But if it's a shotgun the missus wishes... I'd say whatever she feels comfortable and competent handling is in order.

If need be Mrs Smith has access to a double barrel 410 .Her usual weapon of choice is a broom though .

Fact a few years ago she decided to beat on a raccoon that was digging in her flower bed .Brer coon about took the broom away from her .She fled the scene with much haste .

I think the pistol grip with the shoulder stock is best.

For a lady a 12g seems a little big, IF she misses the first shot a 20g or .410 is a lot easier to get back on target with the recoil and such. Slugs at close range will floor a guy with a hit from either gun. The spreads might be less with shot from the smaller calibers but I like shot for home defense either way.

Slugs will have a higher chance for collateral damage passing through walls and such where bird shot probly wouldn't.

The ShotLock is a great home defense lock. It mounts on the wall and holds the gun loaded with the lock shroud covering the trigger and safety mechanisms. You can store it locked cocked and safety off. With a simple combination with one of the 5 button deals its in your hands...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11609953

I agree with Erik that a handgun is superior in a defensive situation. It only takes one hand to fire, either hand with a little practice, leaves the other hand free for a flashlight, opening a door, etc. And, if you're responding to a knock at the door, it's much more politically correct to answer it with a handgun tucked behind your waistband out-of-sight-but-easy-to-grab, than to answer it with a pump shotgun.

In my opinion, there is no ideal weapon for home defense. A rifle, shotgun and handgun all have their place, depending on the situation.

A GunVault is another way to keep a weapon locked but handy, if you're given to locking them up.....only works for handguns though.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 55
A pistol might be superior on the street or for carry but a shotgun rules the roost so to say. If you ever have to walk out your front door and clear the porch that Mossberg is your best friend. Its a lot easier to hit a target with a shotgun as well as being harder to disarm. The sound of it shucking can also be as scary as anything.

A shotgun is all around better for home defense IMO. Especially if someone/thing is rushing you.

I agree the pump-gun rules as far as intimidation, both in its sound effects and appearance. Don't know that I'd agree that it's "harder to disarm" as it gives quite a bit more to grab. "Clearing the porch" is both relative and legally questionable. I have stepped out on the porch with rifle, shotgun and pistol, (not all at the same time), depending on the situation. I wouldn't say that either of them is "tactically superior" without knowing the circumstances.

I read an article years ago about a cop responding to a call. He and his partner had to descend into a dark basement to look for the "bad guy" at a store. He said descending the stairs with a riot gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other left him feeling vulnerable.

A lot of this is personal opinion. Some folks like the rail-mounted weapon lights, while others argue that a separate light is better/safer. I guess it's up to the individual...

Proficiency with your chosen weapon is the key.

Chambering the shotgun might be a scary sound, but it can also give away your position; if you're in my house intent on doing me harm, you're not getting a warning, you're getting dead.

Back