Ice fishing suggestions

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Any suggestions for an excellent place to ice fish in the northeast this winter. Perch, calico, walleye, trout.... any of the above are my target species.

I don't think we have walleye in Massachusetts.

My father used to take my brother and I ice fishing all the time (and regular fishing too). When we were teenagers we decided to go with some friends instead of dear old dad. A few hours into it I noticed that there was water on top of the ice where we were standing....In our over exuberance of hole drilling we had managed to perforate the ice in about a 50 foot circle around our base camp...we were wicked smaaaht.

Lake champlain, divides western V.T. and eastern N.Y. all of what you mention. On the southern end is lake st. Catherine better fish Imo.

I would say here in WI but the lakes around here have not frozen over at all this year your best bet is to use a boat.

Not here either. Usually by this time of year we are driving full sized one ton trucks on the ice. Lucky to have 6 inches of good ice right now. Shit, January 2 years ago, we drove a 165ton hydro crane onto the edge of a frozen lake.

Im achin to get out there, my truck is loaded, and ready to fish. So to speak.

We are definitely "on the water" in ND. So far fishing sounds great. Hope to get my ice house on the lake this weekend. 8 x 12 with a garage gas furnace in it. Pretty confortable at -30, if you leave the door open a crack.

Almost forgot the most important accessory, the stove to cook up some deer sausage and some sody pop!!

around 12 inches real clear they tell me. Got our first snow on it today. Kind of slick to walk on, but real solid.

12"??

Wow. You must have a bit colder weather than we've been having. Temps have been hovering in the upper 20s to lower 30s for weeks. Not great ice making....we need a cold snap.

WE had about a week and a half right around 0 a couple weeks ago that put down a good layer. Has been cold enough at night to keep it inspite of our 30/40 daytime temps.

It is nice though that it has been cool enough to slow down summer's mosquito population, and still not cold enough for the snow mosquitos to hatch yet.

A buddy of mine is from Wisconsin and cut a 6 or so inch hole in the floor board of his ford ranger. Drives around the big lakes in Wisconsin drills a hole puts the fish finder down and if there's no fish, just keeps on rollin. When he finds a spot he has a piece of pipe the goes from the truck to the hole to keep the wind from freezing it. He can recline in the passenger seat, listen to the radio and fish! Pretty sweet in my opinion. When he is not using the hole its covered with a piece of sheet metal.

Nah, the summer lets it air out!:lol: Actually its been a while since he's lived in wisco. He's out here in Steamboat now, and before that he was in Vermont. I don't know if cars are aloud on lakes here.

Insulated the lake too well and it never froze deep enough to be safe, only about 3-6" of ice. We like at least 12 before you drive out on it. 2' plus is nice for a large group, I have seen a D-6 Cat cross that lake on about 3' of ice back in early 90's.

Back