Dead white oak

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
I should have dropped this thing five years ago instead of waiting so long .No big deal I guess it went well .

It was around 100 feet before some of the top rotted and got blown out .Exactly 3 feet on the stump .

Attachments

• Kids and oak tree 010.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 010.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Kids and oak tree 008.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 008.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Kids and oak tree 009.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 009.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It had a little back lean which concerned me which is why the pull although it really was not neccesary .Bore cut wedge wedge .When I drove the last wedge it shook the tree .A little tug with the Fergy and over it went slick as snot on a door knob .

Attachments

• Kids and oak tree 011.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 011.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Kids and oak tree 012.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 012.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Kids and oak tree 013.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 013.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 56
Looks can be decieving .It looked terrible on the outside but inside is just dandy ,no rot nothing .Solid as a rock .I have no idea what killed it .

Attachments

• Kids and oak tree 016.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 016.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Kids and oak tree 019.jpg
    Kids and oak tree 019.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 57
About ten years ago something came through my parents' place in southeastern Michigan and took out a lot of the white oak.
Also looked awful outside but perfect inside. Something plugged up the xylem it looked like.
I milled up and hauled one fine specimen back here to Delaware for furniture grade lumber.

Ha I was going to use the 200T just to show Stig I could do it but changed my mind

The bottom log looks like a dandy ,a 16 footer .I got a 16,12 and 10 out of it .The top ten footer isn't all that great .Got all pulled out but the 16 which I'll probabley have to fire up the dozer for .They're all cut about 6-8" over the dimension in case they end crack .

Nice, thanks for sharing Al!

Looks like some damn fine firewood there. Looks like decent growth rings too!

The top will be firewood .I'll salvage the saw logs .I'll bet there's a cord in the top or more .

About ten years ago something came through my parents' place in southeastern Michigan and took out a lot of the white oak.
Also looked awful outside but perfect inside. Something plugged up the xylem it looked like.
I milled up and hauled one fine specimen back here to Delaware for furniture grade lumber.

Something is killing the small to medium White Oaks around here too. Haven't heard any likely suspects.

Something is killing the small to medium White Oaks around here too. Haven't heard any likely suspects.

Oak wilt, Oak decline?

Sudden Oak Death isn't in the East yet, but it could get there within the next decade or two.

Something got a white oak at my neigbors .About the same size but the damned thing had metal in it .Whatever it is/was has not affected any others thank heavens .

Symptoms .They all leaf out fine then starting from the top shed leaves about the first of August then grave yard dead by November .Damned hickorys do about the same .Here one minute and gone the next .

I'm still over 200 maybe 215 or so .That avatar pic I'm 230 .The weight is not a big deal I just wish I had the arms I had back then .Age seems to rob us of a lot of things ,sucks .

They had black tar seep-patches on the trunk... but I am not sure what the causative organism might have been.

I'm not exactly sure what the lumber will be used for .In addition to whatever can be salvaged from this one I have a couple more white oak logs that look real good ,straight tight rings etc .Not exactly certain how much is in this one .I'll scale later on today .

Kinda funny when you take what is a nice sized eastern oak and compair it with an averaged sized west coast Douglas fir or something .Lota difference there in footage .

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Good job Al, you look like a natural born logger with that helmet. I know what you mean about losing arm strength. I wished I had mine back like I used to. Just disappeared one day:lol:

I was going to something similar last weekend with a hard leaning Red oak that just died last year. I had the both the vid camera and still camera already to go but the clouds thickened and the rain moved in early so I had to put off the felling of the tree till later, maybe this coming weekend .

That is also a good looking piece of wood you dropped. It just cries out mill me mill me for at least a few boards. Nice and straight with good looking rings.

I looked up the weight of that bottom 16 foot log Lawdy nearly 6000 pounds .I'm going to have to get creative to move that thing with what equipment I have on hand .

Ha it put the grunt on the little tractor moving one that weighed about half that amount front wheels off the ground .I might have to roll this one which is a monumental pain in the butt .

images
Hypoxylon canker is taking all my oaks.

Back