French Cedar Removal

High Scale

Trust fund lobbyist.
Somebody posted this on Arbtalk, the climbers are students, prepare, you will find yourself involuntarily twitching, maybe even kicking out a leg.

Massive tree, glad they all lived.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NA5Cp6ZC4qs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NA5Cp6ZC4qs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G7qTmC77BI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G7qTmC77BI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Big tree for shore. I was interested in that notch the guy put in at five minutes into the lower vid. Just kerfed in under than a back cut above. They didn't show it leaving the cut, it doesn't seem like it would break away clean with just a kerf for a face and the rear cut considerably higher, but apparently it did. I guess the crane can pull it away to make the break, even without the horizontal leverage. Sure never tried that, you might need a big ol' crane.

It's a snap cut. You use that cut to hold the chunk in place so you can get out of the way because they rigged it from only one side.
I wonder what the reason for removal was it looked sound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Somebody else google translated this, Part 1: "Regretfully, this cedar bicentennial had to be dismantled because of the danger he posed to residents living nearby. School construction site carried out by 20 trainees and apprentices in CS size and care of trees and three trainers."

Part 2: "Cedar doomed to slaughter following four expert. Following school site."

OK, thanks, Rajan, I recognize it now as the snap cut. I guess what had me wondering was the size of the pick. I think you would need some crane muscle to make the chunk break away.

They were taking some pretty big chunks and bouncing some pretty big picks. I hope it was not a pass/fail class.

Interesting use of chains.

Hey, they keep the branches numbered too just in case they have to put them back.

At 4 minutes in the first video, that guy could have lost his head.

What a great opportunity for a bunch of forestry students to get to tackle a tree that size.
It'll be a while before they forget that..

They really missed the balance point on many of the picks...more than one fast moving butt there...that part had me swearing a few times.

Yes, the instructors failed to do their job, sadly.
They should have taken way smaller picks, that way more of the students could have had a chance at working in the tree.
The cost of having a crane on the site for longer time doesn't really matter in a teaching situation like that.

Still a wonderful opportunity, even if it was somewhat botched.

And on the bright side; no-one got hurt:)

Good job the crane was oversized.

The students could have learnt from there mistakes, but if the tutors are not aware of the shortcomings of there methods.............

What do you guys think about their use of chains and the snaps on them. The branch at four minutes shows how the were attaching them and it looks side loaded to me. Seems like they needed clevises.

Wow lots of scary things.
Yes OM they where side loading those grab hooks. Also on some of the picks the chains where too horizontal for my taste.
How about the last pick of the trunk, when the crane goes into emergency down. As soon as it came off the stump he went to cable out. Tells me a warning buzzer was ringing in his ear.

Frankly - there was not a single shred of evidence that ANY of those guys had the slightest clue of what they were doing. Quite simply, some of the worst work I've ever seen, like a bunch of homeowners at work. Staggeringly bad. I twitched the whole way through.

Now translating some choice criticism to put on their youtube page.

Back